Author Topic: A little help please...  (Read 1079 times)

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
A little help please...
« on: March 10, 2011, 01:47:24 am »
I would like to start making patterns of my own photo's as other here do. I've been searching for a program, there seems to be quite a few out there, I was wondering which ones you guys/gals recommend or use. I did just download OpenOffice Draw for normal patterns, but have yet to figure out if this program will turn a photo to a sketch.

Thanks in advance
Bob
« Last Edit: March 10, 2011, 01:53:06 am by TripleB »

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: A little help please...
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2011, 02:38:53 am »
I like Paint.NET that's paint dot net, it's a free download and fairly simple but has quite a few features. I'm sure others will chime in with more advanced programs.
So you will be able to take your choice.
Good luck,
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Mainewoods

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2011, 06:58:57 am »
Bob,  there's many factors to consider when it comes to what software to try.  As Gabby said, Paint.net is a good place to start, but if you want more functionality, you may want to invest in something with more versatility.  It all depends on your budget, computer savvy, understanding of graphics, etc. etc......

Some free programs that will get you going:
Paint.net
Inkscape
GIMP

I've listed these in order of complexity/learning curve, but that's my unprofessional opinion!  As for OpenOffice Draw, it works, but has very limited functionality compared to the others listed here.  Of course there are commercial titles that are even more capable than these, but they've also got a steeper learning curve.  There are numerous tutorials online where you can learn to use these titles.  As I said, it all depends on how far you want to go with it!  Good Luck!

jim stiek

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2011, 09:17:39 am »
I use coyote stencil from carving technoligies it is fairly easy to navigate the basic steps, still a learning curve, but it get you to the basic starting point really fast, from there on the artist has a lot to do with the final outcome. The feature I like most is the fallout preview. and layering which I stayed away from untill I got the Idea right about how to use it, now it is a part of almost every project I attempt.
jim

Offline TripleB

• Simply put, I love Scrolling!
    • View Profile
    • Scroll Saw Paradise
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2011, 05:12:00 pm »
Thanks guys for the help, I've been looking into all of them today, The Coyote looks really easy, but until I know exactly what I want, I think I'll go with one of the free ones till I get a better handle on things.

SMF

Teknoromi