Author Topic: Pattern Removal  (Read 4308 times)

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
Re: Pattern Removal
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2011, 07:49:56 am »
Torsten where do you get your sticker paper at i been wanting to try patterns that way wasn't sure how good it works.
Hey!

Don't use spray adhesive - that's a retiree's thing.  ;D ;) :D

I print my patterns on sticker. Those are simple removable - even better when the tape is between sticker and wood. They can stay on for weeks and will simply be peeled off.

Might be a little more expensive - but is so much easier to work with and will save time and nerves in the shop.

regards
Torsten

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline frankorona

• Frankorona (Frank) (Crown)
    • View Profile
    • Frankorona?s workshop
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2011, 09:13:13 am »
I completely agree with you, regarding the method to remove the pattern paper.
Another more complicated because it is double work is to use carbon paper to spend your design pattern to the wood and start cutting, taping trans?rente to lubricate your blade.

If this still is not enough just to have one last option:
Take your timber, put them together, light a match and problem solved  ;D

Estoy completamente de acuerdo con todos ustedes, respecto al m?todo para remover el papel del patr?n.
Otro m?todo m?s complicado pues es doble trabajo ser?a usar papel carb?n para pasar tu dise?o de patr?n a la madera y empezar a cortar, encintado trans?rente para lubricar tu hoja.

Si a?n esto no es suficiente s?lo queda una ?ltima opci?n:
toma tu madera, juntala, enciende un cerillo y problema solucionado ;D

dankc908

« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2011, 09:30:36 am »
Similar to tux_linux, I use "full sheet" labels available from http://www.onlinelables.com and find that they work wonderfully well. 

Sawdust Dave

« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2011, 10:33:11 am »
I use different methods depending on the thickness of the wood. If it's 1/2" or thicker I use repositional spray adhesive (even though I'm not a retiree lol) then HD clear packaging tape. To remove it I use mineral spirits. I've used alcohol before when I ran out of mineral spirits and it worked but not as good. For thin wood I use painters tape then spray the pattern and put clear tape on top. I like the idea of the full sheet labels though :)

EdwardW

« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2011, 10:46:53 am »
I've been using white adhesive shelf paper from walmart. I stick it on the wood and then spray the back of my pattern with elmers (or whichever) spray adhesive and press onto the shelf paper. It has worked every time and the shelf paper comes off easy as spit. :)  even with the fine cuts..

tux_linux

« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2011, 12:44:41 pm »
@ newfie

I live in Germany - so I'm using the German "Herma" Labels No. 4428 (DinA4) and No 5064 (2xDin A5).

But I think it does not matter which ones you use - just don't buy the cheapest, those are often not cut on the release paper and won't come off that one. Mine has 5-6 stripes of release paper - easy to deal with.

regards
Torsten

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2011, 12:25:03 am »
Hey!

Don't use spray adhesive - that's a retiree's thing.  ;D ;) :D

I print my patterns on sticker. Those are simple removable - even better when the tape is between sticker and wood. They can stay on for weeks and will simply be peeled off.

Might be a little more expensive - but is so much easier to work with and will save time and nerves in the shop.

regards
Torsten

Hey Torsten I didn't know Steve was retired? Probably just tired, he uses it in all of his videos probably wears him out doing all that spraying. LOL

Seriously now. What is sticker? I'm not familiar with the term. Are they labels?
Gabby

Ok I didn't read all the posts before replying. I've used clear satin label "paper" but it is pretty expensive around a $1.00 per sheet 8 1/2 by 11 inches.
The adhesive shelf paper sound interesting, Does it have a peel off backing I'm guessing it does?
Gabby
« Last Edit: February 28, 2011, 12:34:47 am by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2011, 09:39:37 am »
I don't like the spray adhesive, but not because I am not retired. I don't like the smell, the fumes make me have to go outside to do it and I like convience. Most of the time I put a layer of packing tape down, then use a gluestick to get the pattern stuck to the tape. I will use another layer of tape if the wood is hard and burns(like cherry) or if I decide after the fact to add another stack to the pile.

I usually use packing tape but will use masking tape if I have it handy. Sometimes I think the masking tape comes off better, and other times not.
I do use blue painters tape if I am working on a project that will take me a long time to finish. I find that some tapes leave more "ick" behind the longer they are left on. As a busy mom, sometimes it will be a week between times I can cut.

I use an old hair-dryer to help remove the tape if it doesn't peel nicely.
MrsN

grampa

« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2011, 09:48:47 am »
I use low tack masking tape and peel off labels, works for me......Paul ;D

EdwardW

« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2011, 11:59:13 am »
Gabby, yep-just the regular 5.98 shelf paper (from walmart) Big roll that has the backing. Bonus points cause it has the ruled lines on back for cutting. I just cut 2 fret butterflies last night and pulled the shelf paper right off...sweet!  I wont use anything else anymore for pattern mounting.

Bonus two-the shelf paper also acts as a lube for the blade albeit...thin.

cbc

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2011, 01:59:20 pm »
FLAME THROWER GETS IT OFF EVERYTIME  ;D ;D

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 03:05:55 pm »
Edward: Does this shelf paper come of easier than tape (painters or any other).
And does white shelf paper come with a shiny surface.
I have not heard of it in NZ, we have paper that can and has been used on shelves, but it has a peel-able sticky side and the other side is shiny.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 08:21:20 pm »
Gabby, yep-just the regular 5.98 shelf paper (from walmart) Big roll that has the backing. Bonus points cause it has the ruled lines on back for cutting. I just cut 2 fret butterflies last night and pulled the shelf paper right off...sweet!  I wont use anything else anymore for pattern mounting.

Bonus two-the shelf paper also acts as a lube for the blade albeit...thin.

Thanks Edward, I'll give that a try once it dries out and warms up here. At least it was just rain today, I'm hoping the snow is finished.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #28 on: March 01, 2011, 06:07:58 am »
On http://www.intarsia.net there is a PPT  for a rose.
I see that they use rubber cement.
long time ago I used this and I know that you can glue paper and remove it again without destroying it.

What is your experience with rubber cement and patterns on wood?
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

SMF

Teknoromi