Author Topic: Pattern Removal  (Read 4307 times)

upnorthwoodwookers

Pattern Removal
« on: February 26, 2011, 10:02:25 am »
Morning All.....What have you guys and gals found to be the best remover of patterns?  I've read several things, guess I'm concerned about messing up the wood with some of the stories I've read.  Thanks.... 8)

Chachi

Re: Pattern Removal
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 10:11:49 am »
Light sanding with a high numbered grit of paper, I also (depending on what Pattern I am doing) don't use any adhesive at all I got use box tape Duck HD clear is the best IMHO when It starts to come up I get a small peice and tape it back down till I'm done.... Not saying this works for everyone I just find that it works for me is all.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 10:20:21 am »
A little mineral spirits will take it right off without messing up the wood.  Try putting it in a spray bottle.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 10:57:18 am »
I use a heat gun, A hair dryer will work also. The heat will loosen the pattern from the wood and it will come off very easily. If there is any residue left, use a little mineral spirits and wipe it off.
Dan In Southern California

cameronj

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 11:50:22 am »
I do almost the same thing.  Only difference is, I put the project in the microwave for about 30 seconds because most things I cut are smaller and will fit on the table in the microwave.  For something too big for the microwave, I will use a hair dryer.  Then a light spray of mineral spirits will clean off any sticky residue.
A final light sanding, and it is ready for a coat or two of finish.
Jim

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 11:50:44 am »
I use plain ole Painters Tape on applied to the top of the wood.  Use a permanent spray glue on the painters tape and bottom of the pattern.  Apply pattern to painterst tape and cut, cut and cut.  After all is finished just peel the tape off.  Piece of cake and NO clean up.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

chief

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 12:05:57 pm »
I cove rthe piece of wood with clear packing tape and then adhere the pattern to the tape.  When done cutting remove the tape very easily.  Quick and clean removal.

Dawie

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2011, 01:14:18 pm »
I'm with Danny and Jim. Like the microwave idea too, I sometimes forget to put the packing tape on.
David

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 03:34:22 pm »
Have tried all the above, and the prepositional (sp)spray but find that I either don't apply enough or too much or not letting it dry long enough before cutting.
So I use painters tape (cheap white) for the bigger jobs, blue delicate for the finer jobs and apply glue stick, again (cheap 2dollar stuff) and apply that to the back of the pattern.
If there is any lifting during the cutting I use white painters tape to stick it down again. The black lines of the pattern can be seen through the tape.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

ChuckD

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 03:45:53 pm »
I use most of the above also.  Use a lot of tape, cheap masking tape first, glue the pattern and put on Masking tape NOW,  If it burns use a layer of clear tape.  One of the things beside my saw is a glue stick for the very seldom times a pattern tries to come up, or a piece of scotch tape to hold down.  Whatever is in reach.  I also have a Popsicle stick with the end tapered down to rub against any pop-ups or to hold down the paper pattern close to the blade. 
To remove, heat, mineral spirits, extreme care.  This is not the time for breakage.  Good Luck :)

nickchalker

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2011, 04:38:40 pm »
I like to use the cheap white painters tape as well.  Then I take the pattern and use a spray on adhesive like the Loctite brand.  After I finish cutting the pattern, I carefully remove the remaining pattern and the tape, then finish sand up to 320.  I have tried the other methods and they work alright, but I keep going back to this method.  Hope this helps!

Offline scrollsaw22

• View Profile
    • Phillip's Scrolling
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2011, 09:06:22 pm »
I use the Removable Adhesive Paper from Sloans http://www.sloanswoodshop.com/misc_.htm

Don't want to leave it on for more than a few days, or the adhesive sticks more to the wood.  If any residue, some masking tape applied over and removed will pull it off, then sand.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 01:39:56 am »
I cove rthe piece of wood with clear packing tape and then adhere the pattern to the tape.  When done cutting remove the tape very easily.  Quick and clean removal.

Dumb newbie asks. What would happen if you put the clear packing tape on, then lay the pattern over it and tape it again with the clear packing tape?
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 06:34:19 am »
Gabby, you can do that but if you don't use some kind of adhesive on the back of the pattern, sawdust will get between your layers and it will be increasingly difficult to cut.  Plus it's kind of a waste of tape.  The only time I use tape is when I am cutting a wood that tends to burn.  Otherwise, I just use the spray adhesive on the back of my pattern.

tux_linux

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2011, 07:13:40 am »
Hey!

Don't use spray adhesive - that's a retiree's thing.  ;D ;) :D

I print my patterns on sticker. Those are simple removable - even better when the tape is between sticker and wood. They can stay on for weeks and will simply be peeled off.

Might be a little more expensive - but is so much easier to work with and will save time and nerves in the shop.

regards
Torsten

SMF

Teknoromi