Author Topic: Using a round over bit  (Read 1540 times)

malc

Using a round over bit
« on: November 02, 2010, 05:01:26 am »
I am new to using a router and want to round over the edge of some 1 inch thick oak the contour is quite complex with several sweeping curves in the shape of a treble clef. My question is is it best to use the router freehand or in my table. The work piece is about 17 inches long by 5 inches wide. I intend to put a 1/4 inch round over on it.
Malc :-\

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Using a round over bit
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 09:33:58 am »
It is always safer to use the table.  If you can get to everything using your table I'd suggest using the table as you can keep the work more stable.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

boxmaker

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 11:15:46 am »
dunk is right malc, use your table. Let the piece ride along the bearing. Start slowly so it doesn't grab it, then once you are onto the bit try to keep it moving in one smooth motion. Watch where your fingers are, and remember this very important NOTE: never put your hand directly over the bit, if a bit comes loose it will go straight up. I know this for a fact it did it to me when I was using a rubber coated push block, I knew something was up when I smelled the rubber. Be Careful.

Mark

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 11:25:10 am »
Another suggestion is not to try to take off the whole edge at one shot.  You significantly reduce the chances of tearout if you make successive passes removing a small amount of wood at each pass until you get to the final pass.  Also be sure you understand the correct direction to feed the wood into the blade.  You may well be aware of these suggestions, but you did say you are new to routers and there are a few tricks in the bag.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

kp91

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 11:38:39 am »
A table is probably the safer method.  Make sure that you are feeding into the cutting side of the bit, and not taking too heavy of a cut.  If you are working on an irregularly shaped piece, make sure that you start your cut pivoting into the cutter from a starting pin.  This will give you some control so that the bit doesn't kick the stock back at you as you cut it.

If you have any questions, you can always check out routerforums.com, or Bill Hylton or Patrick Speilman's router books at your library.

malc

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2010, 12:55:18 pm »
Thanks folks, I have been practising on off cuts and will be using my table, seems a whole lot better with more control. As for books I have just got two Patrick Spielman router books. The pictures in his 'The art of the router' are enough to take your breath away!
Malc

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2010, 01:05:33 pm »
I agree with using the router table. I use mine to round over edges all the time. Everyone has given some good suggestions.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2010, 05:37:46 pm »
What is everyone's opinion on this http://www.dewalt.com/pages/promotions/CompactRouters-Promo/CompactRouters-Promo.aspx  - I was thinking of buying one, has I just need a router for small jobs. 

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2010, 11:45:41 pm »
I have one similar, it is the bosch colt and I love it.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Rightarm

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 09:35:20 am »
    I always route the ends first. Then I route the sides. I try to make several passes. Dave 8)

Offline WigWag Workshop

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2010, 04:43:02 pm »
I have one similar, it is the bosch colt and I love it.

I have heard of the Bosch model, guess I will need to look into to it.

SMF

Teknoromi