Author Topic: My newbie experience.  (Read 4223 times)

yankeebum2

My newbie experience.
« on: September 01, 2010, 09:24:03 am »
Yesterday afternoon I was working on my scroll saw. I'm not experienced but learning day by day. Pattern was Steve's wall clock, using maple wood for the first time. Blade was a #5 rev. I was noticing "some" significant differences in the wood. (I usually use aspen, poplar or red oak). After some time I'm wondering if I?m gonna be able to cut this wood. I check my wood hardness guide and rule out that the hardness of maple is the problem. Try cutting some more, my piece is bouncing around, can?t seem to be able to cut a straight line. By this time I?m thinking "somethings wrong with my craftsman saw, how am I gonna come up with the money to buy a new one now" I take a beer break to think of my options. I figure I?ll just change the blade and hopefully maybe just a tooth broke. Well as most experienced probably already figured out the big dummy  ??? (me) had the blade in upside down. I was both relieved and feeling quite dumb. Anyone else ever made that rookie mistake?

Dawie

Re: My newbie experience.
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2010, 09:32:10 am »
 ;D Ye don't feel all alone, been there done that, especially with finer blades, now use a magnifying glass if I can't see which way the teeth run,that works well. Guess that won't happen to you again.
David

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 09:32:55 am »
Been there...done that  ;D
I'm from North Dakota

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 09:39:14 am »
Welcome to our world.  We have all done that (more than once).

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 09:39:27 am »
I hate to tell you how far into my scroll saw 'career' I make rookie mistakes!  I have put the blade in backwards, upside down, and if it could be turned inside out, I probably would have done that too!  (Doh!)

Mistakes are part of the learning process and anyone who says they don't make them is a liar!  The trick is to learn by them and try not to make them over and over! LOL

Don't let it discourage you!  Just get back on the horse and have some Fun!!

Sheila :)
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 10:23:54 am »
Ha Ha Ha ! ! !

I just did the "backwards blade" Sunday afternoon!!!

Wait 'til you have a "foot switch" and are changing a blade and forget to take your foot off the darn switch!!!
That is a real 'wake up' call to take a break!!!!!!!!!

The fact that you felt the need to tell everyone shows you are on your way to bigger and greater things!

Just keep cutting and laugh at those things when they happen....

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 10:50:35 am »
Oh yes. I have done that before. The difference with having experience, is you just figure it out quicker. LOL  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 11:25:53 am »
I have never done that.......Well, maybe once or twice....
I quickly learned to run my finger up and down the teeth of the blade to see which way the teeth are facing and that works most of the time unless you are using a reverse tooth blade. Then you probably should double check to see which end has the fewest teeth in the cutting direction. DAMHIKT  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

ChaplainRon

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 11:34:47 am »
If it was not for Steve's video I would not have known it made a difference which way the blade goes....

Rightarm

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2010, 01:28:34 pm »
    Yep....same goes for me. Dave

grampa

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2010, 02:04:56 pm »
I think we all have at one time or another, here is a shop sign I made last year.....Paul ;D

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2010, 02:38:09 pm »
I don't scroll for so long but I have to say that I didn't done that (jet)

I went to what we in holland call a "technical school" and between the age of 12 and 16 years we had lessons called "learning tools".
The teacher "rubbed" it in how to place a new blade. (and some other things!)
I often remember him saying "pull the saw to let it work, don't push, the weight of the saw should be enough.
once when I was 18 I had to saw a stainless steel pipe...... and guess what... I reversed the blade with the consequence that the saw bounced of into my thumb.  >:(   I directly had to think of my teacher.
I guess that these lessons helped me up to now to place the blade right.
8) 8) 8)
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2010, 04:10:49 pm »
I dare the scroller to say he or she hasn't done it, I find the finer blades the worst as my eyes aren't all that good
Jimbo

ufgator

« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2010, 04:55:14 pm »
I have to say I've done that foolish move and several more.  I'd like to think it won't happen again but let's be real.  We're all human.  I just look around and hope nobody saw me do it and keep on going.

Happy Scrolling
     Bill

Becky

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2010, 06:10:26 pm »
The best thing about having had the experience and solving the problem is that the next time your wood starts hopping around like that, you'll have a good idea of what to check first.

I was completely surprised the first time I put a blade in backwards.  I'm still not really sure how I managed that, lol.

SMF

Teknoromi