Author Topic: How do I wire a momentary switch to my saw  (Read 5480 times)

Tropdoug

How do I wire a momentary switch to my saw
« on: August 08, 2014, 02:04:49 am »
Hi,

I am not very electrically aware, and just bought a foot momentary switch for my Excalibur 21" -- but it has no instructions and I don't understand the diagram on the back, (see Image) Please could someone assist me with where and how to connect this switch to the saw to give me, on when pressed and held, and off when released.

Thanks
Douglas

Bill H

Re: How do I wire a momentary switch to my saw
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2014, 07:18:26 am »
Are you using a 120 Volt outlet like you plug a light into? If you are this switch MAY not work since it is a 220 volt switch.
You would install this switch in line on your power cord.

The GREEN is your ground and goes to the round point on the plug. This for both 120v and 220v.

If you have 120v the Black is your HOT ( carries the power). The WHITE is common ( sort of like a ground, DO NOT attach this to your ground!!)   

If you are using 220v both the BLACK and the WHITE are HOT (carries power).

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2014, 08:35:57 am »
Douglas, the foot switches I have seen have a cord to plug the switch into a power outlet and also has a place to plug the cord from the saw into the switch.  Does your switch have that?

If it doesn't, and if Bill H's answer is even slightly unclear to you, hire an electrician or speak to a friend who knows about electricity.  Better to be safe than sorry.    :)   

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2014, 03:25:00 pm »
What Jscott stated is the right way.  Piece of Cake..........................:+}

Just make sure the Saw is turned on in order to use the foot switch.  Great Invention I say. 
Danny  :+}

Tropdoug

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2014, 09:03:02 pm »
Thanks for the info guys. I have no trouble doing the wiring once I know the correct way. So to confirm I have attached a diagram as I understand your suggestions.

The wiring is Australian, 240V 3 pin, usually coloured, Green Ground (Earth) Black Neutral and Red Live. Obviously both Red and Black (Or those poles) are both 'hot' pins.

Refer diagram as to my understanding.

JScott, that was what I was expecting when I bought it. But no, only one three wire cord. That was what threw me a bit. Thanks for the clarification.

Thanks once more
Douglas
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 09:06:44 pm by Tropdoug »

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 09:11:25 am »
Douglas, looking again at the wiring diagram on the back of the switch, it looks like a single pole, double throw switch - in one position it connects the black to the white and in the other position the white to the green.  If you wire the green (ground) to the switch as shown, the saw will not be grounded through the green wire when power is going to the saw - not safe.

That switch would work for 120 volt, if you connected green directly to green - the ground must be continuous, not switched.

For 240 volt power, you need a double pole switch. 

I'm not confident you should use that switch without checking with an electrician. Incorrect wiring could fry your saw, or worse, cause a fire, or worst, kill you.
Jim

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 02:49:33 pm »
I agree that this switch is not usable until you get a meter on it and verify how it will switch. The drawing on the back of the switch should show the line cord, then the switch terminals (the Green/Black/White). It shows normal (NC) as shorting white to black, and pressed (NO) as shorting white to green.

If the switch works as it is drawn, you could wire like below:

EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 05:45:41 pm »
The power is 240 volt so the red and black are both at 120 volts relative to ground and are at 240 volts between the two wires.  Putting a switch in only the red wire will still leave 120 volt relative to ground at the saw.  While this may not harm the motor (can anyone confirm this?) it still leaves 120 volts at the saw.

I wouldn't use the switch.
Jim
Edit
Ray educated me off-line about Australian wiring so what I said above is wrong for wiring in your area of the world.  I'm really glad you got the information you needed to wire the switch safely.
Jim
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 12:07:57 pm by jscott2 »

Tropdoug

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2014, 07:01:20 pm »
Boy I am glad I sought to confirm. I think I will speak to the supplier and find out a little more. Having just bought this saw, I don't want to fry it, it's more valuable than me for sure. Frying me might be painful too. LOL I will make some enquiries and then post back here with the result. Maybe this thread will prove useful to others.

Once again, thanks for your help, knowledge and interest. Watch this space.

Namaste
Douglas  :)

Tropdoug

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2014, 02:36:06 am »
EIEIO You win!  :D

Its a two wire switch essentially. Wired as you drew it, is what I wanted -- Off when not pressed, on when pressed. If you wanted it to be ON when not pressed and Off when Pressed - you would attach the live wire (Red) to the Black in to the switch and the White (Common) out of the switch to the Red. Ground and Neutral remain untouched in either scenario.

So thanks once again. Once I spoke to the supplier and he confirmed your drawing I went ahead, and it works a charm, it is so much easier doing really fine work being able to stop and start at will without taking hands off the work. Its a wonder they don't supply it as a standard or at least as an option available at purchase. 

Cool Mcool
Thanks everyone

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2014, 10:29:41 am »
glad to hear it works. I use one all the time. Over here, Seyco is the main supplier of Excaliber saws and does offer a foot switch, but it comes with a US 120VAC line cord and plug, and has a 120VAC socket on it to plug your saw into. So it would not work with Australian wiring.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2014, 12:09:25 pm »
Yup, Ray is correct about the wiring and I was wrong.  Glad it worked out safely.
Jim

SMF

Teknoromi