Author Topic: Pine vs Polar  (Read 3293 times)

cherie

Re: Pine vs Polar
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2010, 11:05:30 am »
I cut all the Arrow Head Ornaments from poplar that I purchase from Lowes.  As Kepy says, you have to watch since there are pieces with green in it.  Depending on what your gonna cut, avoid the green.  Yes it adds a nice contrast, but I don't need it.  I have not had a problem finishing the ornaments with poly.  I dip them in it and then hang them to dry for awhile.  This way it puts a thicker coat and makes the ornaments a bit more sturdy.

Just my thoughts.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2010, 01:16:06 pm »
Shellac has a fairly short shelf life. Most people who do alot of wood working mix their own using 'shellac flakes' and mix only as much as is needed. I just bought a quart today...$9.98 at Lowes.
If you look up how shellac is made and what it is made from, you will understand why the prices are what they are. It has beetle dropings from South America as a base, yet when cured it is food safe (?) and elimnates any odors that might be in the wood. It can be tinted (in fact there are three  colors on the shelf at Lowes) I like the clear for most things but, you can use amber or blonde also. There is some called "Seal coat" also.
It looks fine as a finish or it can be painted over or even just as a sealer for polyurethane.
Clean up can be done with house hold ammonia and water or denatured alcohol and it dries to touch in 30 minutets and can be recoated in an hour or so.
More mis-information from the guesser.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

northie66

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2010, 05:23:05 pm »
Maybe I should dip.  I use spray polyurethane... but it's never as shiny as I want it to be.  And yes, I use the "gloss" type. ;)

cherie

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2010, 09:45:33 pm »
That is why I dip my ornaments Janet.  I also use the spray for certain items, but the ornaments, no.  I learned to dip them, but if you want all your holes cleared, get a can or air, or I use the air hook up I Jaun set up for me to blow sawdust off the table and projects, to blow the poly from the holes.  Let me know how it works for ya.

northie66

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2010, 08:28:50 pm »
cherie... after you dip it do you like shake it off?  how to you put it to dry if it's all wet?

cherie

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2010, 08:34:08 pm »
I have a thing that Jaun made me to hang them from.  Usually takes over night to dry.  Like I said before, to get some of the poly from the holes, blow them out.  Speaking of, I have to find the darned thing.

SMF

Teknoromi