Author Topic: Pine vs Polar  (Read 3290 times)

northie66

Pine vs Polar
« on: July 11, 2010, 06:19:04 pm »
Could someone give me the pros and cons between these 2 woods?

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
Re: Pine vs Polar
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 07:32:47 pm »
i much prefer poplar. I can't seem to find any good pine around my area. Pine seems to cut easier than poplar but poplar has nice grain and finishes great. I have cut all of my recent projects from poplar. Pine is usually alot cheaper but you get what you pay for. I'm not an expert by far but thats my 2 cents. Mike

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 07:37:21 pm »
Ok polar? I am thinking you mean Poplar,(woody plants of the genus Populus, species include poplar, aspen, and cottonwood) ?.?.?  ???
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 07:47:42 pm »
Hey Janet, I cut a lot of pine for Ladies who teach tole painting. Pine is fine if your are painting your projects as you do. It is softer than poplar, but can have rough edges, which may mean more sanding. Pine is cheaper than poplar also. Pine does have a lot of knots and sap and can warp if is to moist. Poplar has a finer grain that wont show through your paint.
So if your looking for a less expensive wood, go ahead and try some pine.
Dan In Southern California

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 07:50:06 pm »
I agree with what has been said.  I also find that Poplar has a tighter grain more suited fro painting than Pine.  I do not have the problem of the wood taking charge of where the blade goes using poplar.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

northie66

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 08:39:28 pm »
Yeah... I meant poplar... typo there.  Thanks for the input!

sp_343

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 10:17:18 pm »
I get some really nice pieces of Pine at my Menards and Lowes.  I have used it for MANY projects.  Poplar has been a good wood for me too.  The Pine I get is knot free, nice and square...I just need to spend time looking for the non-warped and non-cupped pieces...once I get them home they seem to stay nice and straight.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 10:34:31 pm »
You should be able to get A grade pine whith out knots but you pay more for it, best thing is to pick your own out when buying
Jimbo

chief

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 10:47:52 pm »
I dont use much pine, but I have found some nice pine boards at the local big box store.  I dont buy the grade A boards because they are too expensive.  I find a nice piece with like one knot and cut around the know.  I got a 1x6x48 for a couple of bucks that had one knot in the middle, cut it out on my miter saw and ended up with two nice pieces of pine.
My wife bought me some nice 3/8 pine that is grade A and I dont even want to know how much she paid for it.  She got it at the local big box store.  I will use it for making her something special.

boxmaker

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2010, 11:05:27 pm »
There is not to much more to say about the pine and poplar. I agree with SP_343 if you go to Lowes, Home Depot, Menards etc. Look over the woods carefully, pay close attention to the end grain of the wood, look for the growth rings to be as straight up and down as you can find, this is your most stable wood. I think these stores buy in such bulk they don't even know what they have on the shelf. I once found a curly Mahogany board for the price of regular Mahogany, I have found Birds eye maple in with regular Maple. You have to be willing to take the time and look, but treasure is out there. Mark

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2010, 12:27:15 am »
I use some pine, but I prefer poplar if it is for something I want to last.  Poplar is harder.  It also has less tear-out if you are going to rout the edges or anything like that.  Other than the cost difference, the only disadvantage to poplar for me is that it is difficult to stain evenly.  It is one wood that is better to use a poly with the stain built in rather than try to stain and then finish.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2010, 07:14:28 am »
If you can find a lumber yard that carries Eastern white pine, you will like the wood.  Cuts and finishes great.  The white wood at the box stores is something else again.  Poplar cuts nice but be careful if it has a greenish cast as will finish funny.

Dawie

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2010, 08:46:33 am »
Learning new things all the time. Intressting to see what all of you have to say.
David

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2010, 09:45:50 am »
If you are going to stain pine or poplar or any wood with open grain, start with a coat of #1 cut shellac first. If you buy shellac at the big box store (like I do) cut it 50/50 with alchol and brush or wipe on a coat before staining. Let it dry first, it evaporates very fast and you won't loose much time but, it will fill the pores in the grain and make the stain much more even.
Just another hint from one who is still guessing.  ;D

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2010, 09:53:11 am »
Shellac...2 comments

1. Why is shellac so darned expensive?

2. As a boy I remember my dad using shellac all the time. Then it seems everybody tried to come up with something better. I think his use of it so often is what brought about my appreciation of the smell of alcohol. One of the best and most popular cleaning agents there is.

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

SMF

Teknoromi