Author Topic: working with plexiglass  (Read 1733 times)

Crash Landing

working with plexiglass
« on: July 10, 2010, 10:55:38 pm »
Hi folks,

I have started experimenting with plexiglass. Does anyone have a technique for polishing the edge cuts? I currently use a propane torch to "melt" to a polished finish but this is only good on the outside edges. Any ideas how to polish the interior cuts?

tia

crash

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: working with plexiglass
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 10:26:19 am »
Sorry...can't help with the edges.
I know it can be touchy stuff to work with from past experiences.
Please post your 'methods'...saw speed, blades, backings, etc.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Crash Landing

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 06:07:51 pm »
Graybeard,

I use Polar #5 blades slow to med speed. I leave the paper covering on the plastic then wrap both sides in packing tape then adhere the pattern to that..by going slow I avoid the cuts melting back together. I have only been at this a few times. I like the results to a degree but would really like to have smooth glass like edges.
This is experimental attempting a variation on the shadow box idea.

Crash

northie66

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 06:21:41 pm »
I'm curious about this post as I have a sheet of plexiglass that calls my name from time to time.

chips

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 07:22:32 pm »
 Crash,

Not what your looking for but here's a video that Steve put out on cutting Acrylic that might be of some interest to others.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YmUm-wa1xI

northie66

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 08:51:17 pm »
Wow!  Makes me want acrylic and a blow torch!

I'm not going that route though... I'm going to show some restraint.  Mainly because I ain't even allowed to have candles in the house since that one incident.  ;o)

Crash Landing

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 09:46:30 pm »
Janet,

Not to worry. Use the propane torch outside. That way when the flame goes out you won't pass out from breathing the gas.
But I am curious. Was the fire department involved or was it the people in the white coats during your candle incident?

crash

Crash Landing

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 09:59:43 pm »
Chips,

Thanks for the link. Yes it was pretty much how I do it now. Although Steve is way better at his cuts than I am and he doesn't melt nearly as much as I do.

Crash

chief

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 10:51:16 pm »
I put packing tape over the factory paper and then use a little WD-40 as you scroll.  If the edges are fairly straight wet sand with 400 and then 800 and then the torch will polish it easily.  I have also just held it ove rthe stove because I didnt have a torch.  Why buy a tool you really dont need.

northie66

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2010, 06:08:52 pm »
Crash - I left a bunch of votive candles lit on a shelf and went to bed.  Hubby said by the grace of God he woke up thirsty and went to the kitchen.  He said the ledge was hot to the touch.

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2010, 07:55:32 am »
This is a portrait that I did a while back.  I sanded the glass before cutting to give it a smoked look.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Dawie

« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2010, 08:56:17 am »
That looks awesome. I have never really worked with plexiglass but have considered it. Thanks for sharing.
David

Crash Landing

« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 11:03:52 am »
Paw Paw Ray,
That is fantastic. I really like the sanded aspect. Gives it a surreal look. Very nice indeed.

Crash

SMF

Teknoromi