Author Topic: FireFox 4.0 Beta...Warning!  (Read 2452 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
FireFox 4.0 Beta...Warning!
« on: July 09, 2010, 10:53:53 am »
I downloaded and installed it!

They say you can run both side by side but when the Beta 4.0 installed it took control of my existing version and converted it.
I MAY have missed something in the install but be careful out there!!!

I'm still liking Google's CHROME better and better!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Dawie

Re: FireFox 4.0 Beta...Warning!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 12:17:24 pm »
Thanks for the warning GB.
David

cherie

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 02:06:11 pm »
I use Firefox all the time.  It is a school thing.  Thanks for the warning.  I will not be downloading that.

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 06:16:13 pm »
Chrome Chrome Chrome Chrome Chrome Chrome I suggest Chrome been using it for the last couple years after having probs with FireFox never look back.

Merlin
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 06:25:44 pm »
Merlin I have been a Firefox fan since v .5 way back in the 'old' days.
Tried 'Chrome' when it first came out and ran both side by side.
I have become a CC..."Chrome Convert"!

IF I hear that Firefox has resolved a few issues I may go back but for now it is definitely CHROME!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

boxmaker

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 07:56:52 pm »
I have always been a Firefox user. I have recently heard a lot about Chrome. I may have to try it. Anything I should know about Chrome before download and install.

daneklund

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 08:34:40 pm »
I changed over to Chrome when I was having so many problems with FF.  The new version of FF is working much better now.  I run them both now and also run Safari at work.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 09:12:19 pm »
RE: Google's Chrome Browser...

If yo have used FF you will have no problems. Good 'tabbed browsing' and they are adding 'add-ons' fast and furious. Try not to overload yourself with the 'add-ons' until you get the feel of the browser.

I ran both side by side with identical sets of tabs for several weeks before I gravitated to the Chrome.
Seems faster than FF when downloading websites. Has a very good "Restore" feature for when you shut down the computer without closing your browser. When you re-open the browser after a re-boot just be sure to check the upper right corner for the 'Restore" box and click.
It will import all your bookmarks and I would recommend setting up an account with "X-marks" to keep your bookmarks stored online! Every so often i just "export" my bookmarks to an HTML file on my desktop 'just in case'.

It is no problem to download, install and try while you are still running FF.

My only complaint is it doesn't seem to like my "Yahoo Mail" account. I have to hit the refresh button  to get Yahoo Mail to behave. So I have set my Yahoo account to forward everything to another account and everything is fine.

I really like all the Google things, Gmail, Calendar, Google Docs, Google Maps, etc.

TRY it you will probably like it.....

~~~GB~~~

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 09:15:55 pm »
An additional comment....

"Web of Trust" (WOT) is available for FF, Chrome, and IE now.

I highly recommend this add-on for everyone to use with their browser espedially if you have someone who uses your computer who has a tendency to just 'click' anything. Show them the warning codes and tell them NOT to click when they get a caution or a 'red flag'!

~~~GB~~~

northie66

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 09:18:04 pm »
I also love gmail and the calendar.  I love the calendar... I sync it to my ipod and I always have it with me.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 09:20:47 pm »
What's an Ipod???????????

northie66

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2010, 09:23:26 pm »
You can't be serious GB!  But just in case this is the one I have...

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Generation-iPhone-Software-Installed/dp/B002M3SOBU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1278724916&sr=8-3

It has wifi and that's what allows it to constantly update my calendar when I'm home.  Ahhh... gadgets.  Love em!

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2010, 09:26:14 pm »
I know what it is, I just don't have a use for one! and I do love 'gadgets'!!!

Being nosy...what does it cost you a month for all the services you have?
I spend about $30 a month for my cellphone and have rollover minutes accumulated into my next lifetime!

northie66

« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2010, 09:31:32 pm »
I don't have the phone... just the ipod touch.  It costs nothing a month.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2010, 09:44:50 pm »
What is it? WIFI enabled or how does it connect to the internet? You must have to pay something for the connection to the 'net.

SMF

Teknoromi