Author Topic: need help with terminoligy  (Read 1015 times)

Dawie

need help with terminoligy
« on: July 03, 2010, 04:52:00 pm »
Hi everybody,
 I order most of my pattern books on internet and they are great. Just now and again I have difficulty in figuring out exactly what they mean. Just received agreat book on puzzles. There's a description on how to make a wooden vault inspired by the Da Vinci Code. Here comes the terms I do not fully grasp:
Forstner bit
Rabbet "Add a rabbet around each ring" (Figured got something to do with routing)
Thanks for any help. Looking at the pattern again it is at this moment a bit out of my league, but I will get there.
David

chips

Re: need help with terminoligy
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 05:34:49 pm »
 David,

Try the following web page and you'll see what they look like.

http://www.traditionalwoodworker.com/default.php?cPath=269_270&gclid=CJb_ubCm0KICFY835wodoGoozA

They are specially made up bits to cut very clean sided holes and you can even use them to cut a hole that is not all the way inside the board.

A rabbett is like you imagine. think of an "L" cut around the outside edge of a board. You mention "ring" in your pattern so you would be right in that it would take a router to do that. On a board you can do the same with a router, or table saw. With a table saw you can use either a regular blade,or better yet a set of dado blades.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 06:20:24 pm »
A forstner bit is for drilling holes, there are 2 types 1 for end grain boring and 1 for long grain boring and they come from 6mls to 75ml or even larger, they are expensive
I think a rabbiter is a router bit.
A piece of useless info on forstner bit a passed member of our club, [Frank Forstner] his uncle invented that bit
jimbo

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 07:38:52 pm »
Hey David, A forstner bit is designed to cut a clean flat hole. They come in many sizes from 1/4" up to 31/2".
A rabbet is a grove on the edge of a board.
Dan In Southern California

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 11:45:28 pm »
Here are pictures of a Rabbet and Fostner Bit

Mike

[attachment deleted by admin]
Do your part - go green - save the earth

Dawie

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2010, 01:53:49 am »
Thanks you guys. Now I know what I am looking for when I eventaully get up the courage to make it. At least I have the right routerbit. Will have to save up for the forstner though. I liked the bit of extra info Jimbo.
Have  a great 4th of July you guys in the USA.
David

SMF

Teknoromi