Author Topic: lets talk saws  (Read 5865 times)

Becky

Re: lets talk saws
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2010, 11:17:04 pm »
I think the upcoming issue of Scrollsaw Woodworking and Crafts will feature a review of saws. 

I tried a friend's saw for a little and didn't like it.  It was old, single speed and required a tool to change blades.  I wasn't sure I even wanted a saw after that.  Then I found Steve's videos and learned it didn't have to be like that.  Wanting to give myself the best chance of success, I bought the Dewalt 788.  Having only had that old relic to compare it with, I am really happy with my saw, but that's a pretty limited comparison. 

sp_343

« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2010, 12:42:00 am »
I had a Hitachi...liked it.

I have a DeWalt now...Love it!

I would like an Excaliber....maybe after I get my 4yo and 1yo kids through college...

northie66

« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2010, 05:48:28 am »
If You really want it, just buy it sp. It'll always be something u need to buy otherwise.

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2010, 08:25:32 am »
Started with a reconditioned Dremel (10 years ago I think) from Harbor Freight. It arrived broken. Harbor Freight was very helpful, sending the new part, and pointing the tricky part of putting it on. Of course had to use a tool to change blades. Did get a conversion kit, but still a chore.
Husband came home a year or two later with the Dewalt 788. It has been wonderful.
In the meantime bought an RBI, a demo at the scratch and dent sale when they were in Harrisonville MO, then sold it. A coupld of years ago bought an Eclipse Excaliber at the Texas picnic. Had to put sand bags on the lower part of the stand to keep it from vibrating. It gets used now and then.
Love the Dewalt. It is rock steady on it's three legs. Don't have a Jim Dandy and have been lifting the arm and top feeding without even thinking about it. Maybe, at my age, it helps keep me fit!!  ;D
Pat B
PS-pays to reread what I post.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 08:25:16 pm by mainberg »

BigE

« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2010, 08:53:11 am »
I have owned a Hegner 18" variable speed scroll saw since 1992. I watched the saw demos at a wood show, and for some reason liked it the best. It has never given me a problem. I have never replaced a part on it, knock on wood, and it is almost vibration free with the heavy stand. Should the motor go out I would probably go with the dewalt because the replacement motor is over $700 on their web site. Wow! I barely paid that much when I bought it. So far it has been used by the kids, wife, friends, and myself with no problems. Hopefully I won't have to replace it. It's been a real workhorse just as they claimed when I bought it. I've cut everything you can imagine on this saw.
They just put out a new stand which is half as high for those who want to sit in a chair and scroll as to doing it standing up. Suprisingly they aren't much more in price than in the 90's. Check out their web site at Hegner.com
Elvin

BigE

« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2010, 11:40:00 am »
Sorry again. I'm having a hard time getting links to work, or the right ones in my posts. The Hegner web site is not Hegner.com. It's Advanced Machinery
Here is the link:
http://www.advmachinery.com/
Hope this solves the problem. You may not even go there, but if you do this one works.
Thanks,
Elvin

canadasgall

« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2010, 04:59:57 pm »
i stared with a master craft burnt 2 of them, then moved to a delta after that one burnt and couldn't get parts i moved up to excalibur and i have no complaints, love it. if i was to replace it i would definitly buy anouther of course i never tried a dewalt, eclipse or any other i'll stick with what i like and no this way no surprises lol

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2010, 06:27:20 pm »
I believe the Dewalt is being made in China now True or False?
Jimbo

Joesawdust

« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2010, 06:29:16 pm »
Jimbo
If not there, then it is somewhere overseas

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2010, 07:31:30 pm »
Jimbo
True, and so is the Excalibur.
Dan In Southern California

daneklund

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2010, 11:36:58 pm »
Just received the Fall issue of Scrollsaw Woodworking and Crafts today (Issue #40) and they do a comparison of 23 saws.

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2010, 08:29:10 am »
Excaliber is now owned by General, and it is painted green like all the other General tools, and made in the Far East. I have a purple one. Think they were black before that.
Pat B

uddeholm

« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2010, 10:19:42 am »
I started off with the jet 18" which was total rubbish. I now have a hegner which is fantastic.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2010, 06:21:24 pm »
I know the Ex. is made in the East although it doesn't say on the box, and it is owned by a Canadian company, thats about all the info I got when I got mine
Jimbo

SMF

Teknoromi