Author Topic: Fast or Slow Cut  (Read 2401 times)

Rightarm

Fast or Slow Cut
« on: June 27, 2010, 08:13:59 am »
    I have an old Dremel. So I found it a little easier for me to cut on slow. My saw has just two speeds. I'm thinking about installing a variable speed switch. I really don't think it would take much to do. Dave 8)

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Fast or Slow Cut
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2010, 08:22:07 am »
I would think that the results would be positive.  It would make it lots easier on you to be able to pick just the right speed for what you are cutting. I am sure some folks here have some great ideas on the best way to do it.  I say 'go for it'!

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2010, 09:09:40 am »
I agree with Sheila. If I had only two speeds I would have given up when I started! Fortunately I went from ONE speed to VS and would have it no other way.

I would think that a rheostat type speed control would work but someone more intune with the intricacies of motors would have to verify that.
Any electronics experts lurking out there?

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

northie66

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2010, 09:19:32 am »
I have the dewalt scroll saw... I never adjust the speed.  It's either on or off... that's about it.  I don't think I'd want to adjust the speed.  But, that could be just me.

sp_343

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 09:38:04 am »
If you could get a speed control wired in and working it would be perfect.  I sometimes adjust the speed on my DeWalt, but I usually take it slow...makes it easier for me to stay on the line.

I also added a foot pedal and that was like a gift from above.  Wouldn't work without it.

cherie

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2010, 01:30:19 pm »
I do adjust my speed, depending upon what I am cutting.  If it is thicker, I usually slow the machine down, when I am doing the ornaments and such, it is a faster speed, but it is also what I have become accustom to.  So just my thoughts, play and see what ya come up with.  There are guides and suggestions from various wood working sites that can give you something to go by.  Off the top of my head, I cannot remember, but I am sure they are in Jaun's favorites and I will have to get on his laptop to find them.

Rightarm

« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2010, 01:39:41 pm »
    SP, I have installed a foot pedal. I bought it at the Harbor Freight. I have seen them advertised for about $30.00. But I found it there for $10.00. Works great. I wouldn't be without one either. I really think Im going to put on a reo switch, play around with it. But for now, slow works for me. Dave 8)

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2010, 06:16:35 pm »
The foot pedal for on-off works great and I wouldn't be without it.  But that doesn't adjust the speed.  I would think you could install a rheostat type control in line with the power cord to adjust the speed.  Use a single-gang electrical box mounted somewhere convenient to adjust it.  As for the control itself, ask someone with electrical knowledge at the store (Home Depot, etc.) to recommend a control for an AC motor handling whatever amount of power your saw takes, either in amps or watts.  Be sure the control can handle that amount of power or a bit more.

I kept thinking about the foot controls for sewing machines that control both the speed and on-off, but you'd have to keep fairly steady pressure on the switch for long periods of time.  I see no reason you can't make this, and it shouldn't cost a whole lot either. 
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2010, 06:56:13 pm »

I kept thinking about the foot controls for sewing machines that control both the speed and on-off, but you'd have to keep fairly steady pressure on the switch for long periods of time.  I see no reason you can't make this, and it shouldn't cost a whole lot either. 

I considered a sewing machine pedal when I was looking for mine and thought that the cord looked a might lightweight for something in the shop. I never considered the fact that it has a reastat in it too. That would be a real PITA trying to controll the speed with my #11s and a shaky ankle too! Besides they are more expensive that what I ended up with anyway.
I realize that cost is a very important factor with any hobby but, I have found that I would rather save-UP  (;D) and get something that works and I will be happy with, rather than saving $5.00 on a less expensive item and cussing it for months before I break DOWN (;D) and buy what I wanted to begin with.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

carlton4143

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 08:24:44 pm »
this is an easy one. Get a router speed control. Takes up to 15 amps and isn't that much money.
I put one on my mini lathe and it works great.

boxmaker

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 08:50:03 pm »

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2010, 12:55:30 am »
Carlton and Boxmaker... you two are right on top of this.  That router speed control is just the ticket, and it's "plug 'N play".  Couldn't be easier and the cost is probably less than trying to build one.  Thanks.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 02:50:16 am »
Vari speed is vital in my opnion and I am a newbie at this stuff, I have been on a lathe for the best part of 7 years and it has an 8 speed manual change wich is Ok, I use it all the time, on my saw I use the speed control all the time as well, it does not matter what I am cutting I adjust it to the speed that it is cutting the best, I don't need a foot control as the on off swich is at my finger tips
Jimbo

Rightarm

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2010, 12:46:52 pm »
    I went to Menards and looked at a light dimmer switch. Not quiet what I wanted. I think I'm going to Harbor Freight and get the Router Speed Control. Thanks everybody for your help. Great Ideas. Dave 8)

Dawie

« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2010, 03:25:47 pm »
Hope you get it to work, I would not be without  my speedcontrol, use it allthe time depending on thickness and difficulty. Was one of the requirements for my saw when I started looking for one.
Good luck let us know how it went.
David

SMF

Teknoromi