Author Topic: Using Aleens Clear Gel Glue....:+(  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Using Aleens Clear Gel Glue....:+(
« on: September 03, 2013, 07:54:04 pm »
Not sure, but think Dustin mentioned once about using this type of glue.  Well He did the trick and
convinced me to buy some.  Well after my first Failure with using this I just decided to experiment.
Used two sanded pieces of PINE....Applied the Clear Gel as Normal and WAITED.  Left it basically
just sitting there for approx. 1 hour.  Was ABLE TO PULL it apart with very little EFFORT. 

I also did the same with the PINE wood, but used the WHITE Alleen Super Turbo Blue.  Same time
waiting....  THIS IS A SUPER, SUPER GLUE....  Could not pry apart and decided to give it a GOOD GO
with tools.  Took the wood apart and the glue joint NEVER let go.  So there....My 2 cents....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

countryscroller

Re: Using Aleens Clear Gel Glue....:+(
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 08:28:54 pm »
Did you clamp the clear gel? Well glad one of them worked for you.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2013, 08:35:40 pm »
I have used Alene's tacky Glue a lot and have NEVER had a problem...
CA or Super Glue is not really good for gluing wood fibers together.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

countryscroller

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2013, 09:13:17 pm »
The white turbo glue he mentions isn't super glue. It is a regular craft glue like the gel. It dries clear too. I just favor these types of glues because scrolling is considered a craft and you don't necessarily need the same glue bond that a titebond or other yellow glues have in my opinion. I guess it is personal preference.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 09:15:15 pm by CountryScroller »

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2013, 10:19:08 am »
Thanks for the response....I have always used titebond glue, but dgman talked once about using
Alleens Glue.  Bought a little bottle and after using for a while I became convinced of its Greatness
in gluing wood together and how fast it sets/drys.  Plus it has a nice size pointed applicator. 

Dustin....I did not clamp the experiment using the Gel as I didn't using the other.  Held each together
for a minute or so and waited.  Like I mentioned the GEL was no where close to the holding power
of the Turbo.  Anyway this is my 2 cents....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2013, 11:16:02 am »
Thanks for the response....I have always used titebond glue, but dgman talked once about using
Alleens Glue.  Bought a little bottle and after using for a while I became convinced of its Greatness
in gluing wood together and how fast it sets/drys.  Plus it has a nice size pointed applicator. 

Dustin....I did not clamp the experiment using the Gel as I didn't using the other.  Held each together
for a minute or so and waited.  Like I mentioned the GEL was no where close to the holding power
of the Turbo.  Anyway this is my 2 cents....  Danny  :+}

just curious if you would try to clamp the clear glue for 1 hour and try to pull it again.
wonder if this makes a difference?
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 12:14:44 pm »
In most cases, I use Titebond (or another wood glue ifhave to) for wood to wood joints. I use the Aleens (regular - brown bottle) for non wood to wood  IE.-paper to wood paper to glass, and for painted surfaces. So far so good. I do CA glue sometimes for wood when the glue area is tiny.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

SMF

Teknoromi