Author Topic: drilling small holes  (Read 4950 times)

Graywolf

Re: drilling small holes
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 09:43:06 am »
I have been using Mike's FD blades for a while, and my scrolling has really gotten better. the last time I ordered blades, Ialso ordered drill bits (#63). They work great. But my problem is the bits are the same size as the blades. I am cutting a 3 stack of 1/4" Red Oak. Trying to get the blades to feed from the bottom of the stack is hard. I bend the blades before I can get them through the stack most times. I think I should use a size or two bigger bit. But I am not sure how the sizes run on the bits (ex. is a #71 bigger than a #63)? I need to call Mike methinks.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 05:42:15 pm »
I have been using Mike's FD blades for a while, and my scrolling has really gotten better. the last time I ordered blades, Ialso ordered drill bits (#63). They work great. But my problem is the bits are the same size as the blades. I am cutting a 3 stack of 1/4" Red Oak. Trying to get the blades to feed from the bottom of the stack is hard. I bend the blades before I can get them through the stack most times. I think I should use a size or two bigger bit. But I am not sure how the sizes run on the bits (ex. is a #71 bigger than a #63)? I need to call Mike methinks.

NO! A #71 is smaller than a #63. You need a #50 something to go larger. Numbered bits go from #1 (the largest) to #80 (the smallest)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 07:32:20 pm »
I seem to remember that Mike has a cross reference chart that matches the blade and the bit size. I have been using Mike's mini chuck for several years not with no problems what so ever.
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Graywolf

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2013, 03:49:30 pm »

thanks, Rog. I did call Mike and we talked for quite a while. What a great guy. He strighten me out. I have only been scrolling for a couple of years and blades drove me crazey (size etc.). He was really a great help. I orderd blades from him, again. Should be here tomorrow.  :)  :)  :)

SMF

Teknoromi