Author Topic: Experiment on my PC Scrollsaw  (Read 4274 times)

IBMer

Experiment on my PC Scrollsaw
« on: February 19, 2013, 06:43:47 pm »
Hopefully this works.   I've always had an issue with my blades slipping off the Porter Cable Scroll Saw.     I removed the set screws that hold the blades in place and did a little Modification.   Hopefully it's for the good...

Anyhow, I put the set screws into my vice and using a diamond pin file, I made the face of each cross-hatched the face of each set screw.  I'm hoping that this will help hold the blade in place.

I won't be able to test it out until morning since I'm waiting for the lock-tight to set up on the "fixed" side.      My fingers are crossed....  Seems like it should better than a flat smooth surface, but who knows ;-)

king310

Re: Experiment on my PC Scrollsaw
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2013, 07:47:11 pm »
What I did was to find a nut to put on the set screw and sanded the end. It worked ok after that.

IBMer

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2013, 11:35:30 pm »
King, I did the opposite.   Instead of making it a smooth surface, I cut groves in the face of the screw, so it's like a cross hatch.   Hopefully it will grab and hold the blade better.  If not, I'll just replace the screws with new ones.

The WoodArtist

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2013, 02:57:52 am »
You could also use sandpaper and take the oil that comes on the blades to keep them from rusting off. I do this and know a lot of scrollers that do the same just takes a couple of swipes on each end and it keeps the blades from slipping out of the clamps at least for me and have heard others that this worked for them also. I also would think that this would be easier and less work and possiblly even keep from breakage of a part of your saw and yes I also use a PC Saw and have been for a long time and still using the same one and works just as good as the day I bought it.

Scroll Down

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2013, 07:33:23 am »
I wipe the ends with a paper towel moistened with paint thinner then a few swipes across some sandpaper. No problems with the blades slipping out of the holder.

I took the bolt/screw from the hold down and used it for the bottom clamp.

My PC works for me, but being new I don't know any better yet :)

Offline bettyswood

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2013, 12:32:25 pm »
When I open a dozen blades, I clean both ends with mineral spirits.  It really works well.  If you use blades pretty slow, you might want to clean just a few at a time so they don't rust.

IBMer

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2013, 03:38:42 pm »
Thanks for the suggestion regarding cleaning the blade ends.    I've been sanding my blade ends since I started scrolling.   Still when I tension up my blade, it often slips right out.   Granted, much less often than if I didn't sand and clean them, but they still do pop off.   

I tried loading a new blade today.   It did not slip, instead it broke right in the middle as I was pulling down the tension handle.   It was a FD Puzzle Blade as I was planning to cut some very small puzzle pieces.    The good thing is that it didn't slip out....   And the break was in the middle due to my over-tightening the tension lever.  If you've ever tried these, they are super thin and break easy.   Figured that if this didn't slip out, it was a move in the right direction. 

More experimentation to come.

John

IBMer

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2013, 11:24:30 pm »
So far, it's working fine....    I've been using super thin Jewelry blades and they haven't slipped not even once.    No cleaning or sanding done on them.   I still need to test some larger blades to see if they slip any.     Just wanted to follow up and say that so far my experiment is working and my blades are not slipping anymore.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2013, 11:58:42 pm »
Wiping the ends of the blades clean is a very good suggestion BUT remember that mineral spirits has an oily base and there will be some residual oil left on the blade.

My preference is to use a small tube of Isopropyl alcohol and a piece of paper towel to clean ALL the oily residue off the ends of the blades.
I get the 91% alcohol at the drug store and pay under $2.00 per quart.
Many years running print shops has taught me that alcohol is one of the best cleaning agents you can use to remove all kinds of oily residues.

Want really clean glass or windows...add 4 oz. of alcohol to your Windex and get to work!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2013, 09:37:18 am »
I have never had a problem with blades slipping out of my Hegner clamp.  It has a small, spring loaded, pivoting, button that contacts the blade.  I had no problem with my DeWalt but I guess it died and I replaced it before the blade holders wore down enough to have this problem.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2013, 10:19:20 am »
On my 40-690 Delta i turn the set screw a 1/4 of a turn every two weeks and as far as the blades goes, I use 220 sand paper and sand both ends befire inserting the blade.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

IBMer

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2013, 04:00:24 pm »
Sanding blades usually works for me, but sometimes they still slip out.    Since I cross hatched the face of the set screws, I can clamp them down and go without cleaning the blades at all.   The ridges help to hold my blade in place.   I suspect that over time, they may wear down, but for now this seems to have stopped my issue with blades slipping out.

I still plan to upgrade to an Excalibur 21 in the future, but until funds allow, I'll still be able to squeeze out a few more projects on my PC saw.

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2013, 08:43:50 pm »
I keep a bottle of finger nail polish with my blades.
Dip both ends wipe down with 220 ,then paper towel.
I also start my saw & hold a 1 1/2" wet stone on the back edges of my blade.
Done this on my band saws for years to make the blade turn easier.

JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2013, 08:33:39 pm »
Slowcutter, do you mean nail polish remover, not just nail polish?
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 12:05:56 am »
yes remover
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday