Author Topic: Trying to make grain of wood pop.  (Read 4265 times)

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Trying to make grain of wood pop.
« on: January 05, 2013, 06:12:32 pm »
I am trying to make the grain of my wood on some pieces pop, snazzy, I took a scrap piece of laun and put some lindseed oil on it, it made it a tad darker, I got some spray lacquer to seal some pieces. What else could I use besides stain, I never was good with stain, is there a trick to it.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Trying to make grain of wood pop.
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 06:15:27 pm »
I use mineral oil followed by spray lacquer or shellac.  The mineral oil really makes the grain look rich without changing the color of it. I also like it because it isn't harsh and has no strong odor.  It is a great way to finish any fretwork pieces.  The shellac seals in the oil and provides a nice warm luster. It is great for pieces that aren't going to be handled much and are mostly decorative. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

king310

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 07:05:28 pm »
lemon oil works great also! Lindseed oil is dark by nature.It is great for preserving and water proofing wooden handles on shovles and ax handles. I use to us it long ago to add to oil base paints. Over time the white paint would turn yellow or a dingy brown.
Lemon oil will give it that fresh out of the shower smell.  ;D Make sure you let it dry before putting on a clear coat. It will make the grain pop just like mineral or cods liver oil.

grampa sawdust

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2013, 07:31:04 pm »
I have used 50/50 linseed oil and Mineral spirts. I like the way it brings out the grain. It does darken a little. I wait about 3 days before I put on poly or laguer or what ever. I will have to try mineral oil or lemon oil the smell would be better.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2013, 08:25:41 pm »
I also use the 50/50 mixture, but use boiled linseed oil instead of plain linseed oil. The 50/50 mixture will bring out the color and grain of the wood. The mineral spirits will allow the oil to flow easier around the project and will dry a lot faster, usually within 24 hours. Then you can apply a top coat. I use a semi gloss spray lacquer.
Lemon oil is not designed to be a finish, and never really dries, so I don't recommend it.
Dan In Southern California

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2013, 08:36:46 pm »
I have a small deal of the boiled seed oil, used a scrap piece of wood, can see some difference not really much. Might just have to keep some scrap around and do some trial and error till I find the right stuff.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2013, 08:59:53 pm »
An easy way to see what the 50/50 mixture will do is wipe some mineral spirits on the wood. The MS will show what it will look like, but will dry with out any effect.
Dan In Southern California

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2013, 09:04:14 pm »
Thats a good idea too will keep that mind. I got some birch from lowes today some pretty pieces too, and was looking at the oak wood and it was very pretty. I got a couple projects to work on for a friend, she all about the pray for a cure deal, and got a couple of steve's patterns I want to make but want to make these stand out.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2013, 09:24:12 pm »
That is what keeps Sheila's hands looking so nice!
Mineral Oil is used in many hand lotions and creams!
My only problem with mineral oil is the extended time for drying.
I prefer our general use 50/50 mixture but definitely use the BOILED linseed oil!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

king310

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2013, 09:44:29 pm »
I do agree with dgman "Lemon oil is not designed to be a finish, and never really dries, so I don't recommend it"
I only use lemon oil as a stand alone stain. I use a natural stain from minwax which has served me well. The stains with poly alread mixed in are a real pain.
Sorry I didn't finish my thougt. Thanks DGMAN. It hell getting old I thinks.

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 09:21:47 am »
I use brush on shellac under spray on gloss lacquer on red cedar.  I find that sanding to 220 grit before and after the shellac coat is essential to getting the nice grain in cedar, to show up well.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

SMF

Teknoromi