Author Topic: Stencil application  (Read 3279 times)

saggioculo

Stencil application
« on: December 26, 2012, 10:56:22 pm »
I've heard some folks actually glue the paper pattern onto the wood and cut it out.  Me...I trace the pattern/stencil onto the wood using carbon paper then do my cutting.  This way I always have the stencil so I can make it again.  
I recently started using transparency film...once I have the stencil on the film, I slide a piece of carbon paper between it and the wood.  I have to press alittle harder, but it works just fine.  The transparency film is much more durable then paper so it last longer and I don't have to worry about tearing the stencil while tracing with a sharp pencil.
I keep all my stencils that are on the transparency film in a binder, so I can show folks who might be interested in me making something for them...kind of like a portfolio.  
What methods does everyone else use?

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Re: Stencil application
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 12:25:05 am »
If I am scrolling one piece of wood, I just spray the pattern with adhesive and apply the pattern to the wood. If I am stack scrolling, I cover the wood with blue painters tape and then attach the pattern with spray adhesive. I always keep an original hard copy on file and also on my computer and I also take a photo of the work and add to a "catalog" I have put together using a ring binder. I use the binder as a catalog of what I have made to sell. I also have a pattern catalog of potential scroll work.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 12:55:34 am »
I used to trace in the old days when I didn't have a printer copier. Now I make a copy of the pattern and glue it directly to the wood using a spray adhesive. I don't like using blue painters tape under the pattern because it takes to much effort to remove, especially around small cut outs. If I'm cutting a wood that can burn, I will apply clear packing tape on top of the pattern. I can easily remove the pattern with a heat gun or a spray of mineral spirits.
For me, tracing takes to much time and effort.
Dan In Southern California

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 01:47:27 am »
I'm with you Dan I use a glue stick as it is cheap and put clear tape over the pattern
Jimbo

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2012, 04:40:21 am »
I'm with Jimbo on this, but tape under the pattern only.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

saggioculo

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2012, 10:05:52 am »
I might need to reconsider my method.  The carbon paper I use is 2' x 3' and is pretty costly.  I use the large carbon paper because I do alot of lawn and garden decorations (which I can sell easier then my scroll projects) and I really need to save the pattern for future use.  So, when I started doing scroll projects, I just kept using the carbon paper/ tracing method.
When I heard about gluing the stencil to the wood, I thought it must leave a residue on the wood when your finished.  I guess that is not the case.  Thanks for all the input!!

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2012, 03:43:10 pm »
I make copies of mine, I started a pattern file folder, any patterns I find and like and may want to cut out again I just print them back off or make another copy, or even scan them on to my computer with file names that will be easy to find. That way I have all the copies I need, might even try to have them laminated to protect them but even then if they start getting messed up just make a fresh copy.

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2012, 09:23:19 pm »
I find I use different attachment methods depending on the project; Blue tape, spray adhesive, glue sticks,clear tape, and combinations of them.  My least favorite is stenciling. I've mostly used it for wood carving but find my re-drawing the line is not to good. [I never was good with cranes either]  I do like using a very light spray adhesive coat followed by a long open drying time before applying the pattern - to the point that the pattern barely holds - then I cover with clear tape to help hold the pattern & lubricate the blade. Projects vary and I like to spend as little time as possible clean up.  I have been disappointed with veneer pieces lifting off when I've first applied blue tape - it's to strong a hold or on to long a time -[hard wood veneers not B/B veneer].

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2012, 09:41:11 pm »
Mineral spirits takes off the pattern and any residue.

Barry

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2012, 10:32:00 pm »
Sometimes I use spray adhesive,but often I use full sheet adhesive labels.  They come off easier than anything else I have used.  Some say they are too expensive, but I find them worth the savings in time & effort.  Besides, I recycle all the ink cartridges from my office through a store who gives rewards for them and that usually  pays for my labels.  The source that provides the ink cartridges does not have a means of returning them.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Becky

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2012, 01:01:21 am »
I used to glue the pattern to the wood and add the clear tape over the top but tried the blue painter's tape and was quickly sold on that method.  I still cut kind of slow - very slow compared to some of these folks who go full speed - and have never had trouble with burning.  Don't know if it is the painters' tape or my saw speed (usually about 5 or 6 on my DeWalt).  But that blue stuff peels off so much more easily than the glued pattern ever did!  And it leaves little to no residue.  It also eliminates the glare I would get from having the clear tape on top.  Easier to see, easier to remover the pattern.  It's all good with the blue painters' tape IMO.  :)

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2012, 06:18:41 am »
I used to trace my patterns onto the wood.  I finally bought a decent printer and use spray adhesive.  I keep some mineral spirits in a spray bottle.  Spritz the piece when done cutting and it comes right off.  I don't use tape unless I am cutting a wood that burns easily.

Candi_D

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2012, 09:09:23 pm »
I'm really new, and I only make things for myself/family so I can afford to splurge a bit, though given that this is a great deal for sticker paper I don't feel like I'm really splurging. I've been printing on sticker paper (which I already had because I use it with my printer & digital cutting machine for paper crafting) and smack the sticker right on the wood. It peels off fairly easy and I don't have to worry about spraying glue around (glue sticks didn't hold well enough for my liking). This is what I'm using: http://www.amazon.com/Glossy-Inkjet-Photo-Sticker-Paper/dp/B000VKV2H4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1356746903&sr=8-4&keywords=sticker+paper oh and I print in red so I can see the line easier.

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2012, 11:24:33 pm »
I use blue painters tape on all my cuttings.  As far as burning goes I use the right blade for the different types of wood.  I also make sure I have a sharp blade in and that will stop the burning.  And like flying Dutchman Mike will say.  Let the blade do the cutting and do not force the wood into the blade.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

ShadowB6

« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2012, 11:53:15 pm »
I'm with the majority on this one. Tracing a pattern takes WAY TOO much time. Spray adhesive for me also, right to the wood and then a heat gun to remove.

SMF

Teknoromi