Author Topic: Urgent  (Read 2139 times)

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
Urgent
« on: September 24, 2012, 05:17:27 pm »
I need advice. I made a clergy cross cut from 3/4" Jatoba. Yesterday I used a combination of 50% BLO and 50% mineral spirits for the first time. The color was great. This morning the piece was dry so I sprayed the piece with poly-urathaine. Now, 10 hrs later the piece is tacky to the touch. My problem is I have to present this tomorrow night at the ordination of our new minister. Will it be ready, advice please. The humidity level is very high, is this a factor. Should I put it in the fridge for a while? Is it PANIC time?
What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
Re: Urgent
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2012, 05:46:11 pm »
I had the same problem earlier this summer and it took several days to a week for the piece to not be sticky. I posted the problem here and everyone pretty much agreed that the humidity was the culprit. I can not help any furthur as I have shied away from the 50/50 mix since then. I went back to lemon oil, minearl oil and sometimes just a couple of coats of spray shellac. Hopefully some others will be able to give you a quick solution.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2012, 05:48:11 pm »
Hey Clyde, I can't speak for poly as I don't use it, but I do suspect the humidity. Try using a fan or maybe using a heat gun or hair dryer to help with the curing.
I use rattle can lacquer. It dries a lot faster than poly and can usually apply several coats in an hour. Good luck!
Dan In Southern California

UHMNL

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2012, 08:41:03 pm »
How about to put in a micro wave oven?
Put on  on lowest setting and do little at the time.
FD Mike.

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2012, 08:55:24 pm »
It is too big for my microwave, as well it has screws in it. Good ideas though. Thanks to all for your input. I am going to place it in the washroom with the heat on for the night and see what it is like in the morning. That heater has a blower on it.
Clyde

Offline Merlin

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2012, 09:28:26 pm »
Don't know if this is your problem or not, but is it Boiled Linseed Oil or Raw Linseed Oil you are using.
Cause a while back I had the same problem and found Raw Linseed Oil did not dry properly and the finish remained tacky for ages.

***Merlin***
Try not! Do,
or do not
There is no try

Yoda "Empire Strikes Back" 1980

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 03:09:17 am »
Wash the project down with thinners to get the poly off
Jimbo

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 06:27:12 am »
it's been a busy two days. The heat didn't work so I followed Jimbo's advice and washed the piece with MS. The presentation was made last night and I will refinish it at a later date but not with BLO/MS solution. Thanks to all who commented.
Clyde

old wormy

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2012, 06:11:42 pm »
I use BLO a lot and you must give it 3 days to cure before applying any type of finish.

SMF

Teknoromi