Author Topic: use the whole blade  (Read 2631 times)

PoppaRob

use the whole blade
« on: September 04, 2012, 04:47:19 pm »
Help Please,

I posted a few sites that had tips in it, one of them was how to use the whole blade and not just the lower part, which for me is my cheap way of thinking, I want to use the whole thing, lol,

SO is there a trick or way to use the whole blade other than making a base to fit over the base of the scroll saw which would raise the cutting area on the blade,

Poppa Rob

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
Re: use the whole blade
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2012, 06:42:49 pm »
Yes...... there is this trick I  use on every blade.  My stroke length on my scroll saws are 3/8" and 3/4" so when a blade gets dull I remove it and cut off either 3/8" or 3/4" from the bottom of the blade and reinstall.  Now I am cutting on unused part of the blade.  I do not use reverse cutting blades so I do not know how it will work with them.  My Hegners allow me to use this shorter blade and maybe your saw does also.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

PoppaRob

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2012, 06:57:02 pm »
Thanks for that info Jim,

You brought up a question I was going to ask later once I finally use my saw, about how this effects a reverse blade, can you just flip it, lol

So much to find out once I get going on this,

Poppa Rob, thanks again,

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2012, 07:15:28 pm »
You can also add to your table on the saw. Add a piece of 1/2 or 3/4 plywood

UHMNL

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2012, 08:54:00 pm »
How about a blade with 2 teeth down and one up.
You always will have a blade with reverse teeth.
The UR blade has it.
FD Mike

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 02:58:19 am »
Not worth messing around with the blades are so cheap it is quicker to toss them, plus a worn blade normally breaks if you are doing a lot of tight turns
Jimbo

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 08:01:08 am »
I'm with Jim, my time is worth more than messing around with the blade.  Pitch it a grab a new one.

PoppaRob

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 09:35:15 am »
Pitch them, no way,

I'll find something to do with them, lol, just kidding, can't say what I'll do as I have not turned one project yet, need to stop posting I guess and stay out an finish that shop, no way thats going to happen, lol, I have enough moved around or will today to get an area for my laptop back out there so I can sit, rest, have a beer, post all day, lol, no its going to be to hot for that too,

Thanks to ALL of you for your post and advice, it will come in handy I am sure soon, just took a good look at those blades, I am going to town soon and I think/know I'll be needing a big ass magnifying glass, lol

Poppa Rob

Offline sciesaw

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2012, 03:27:38 pm »
I often use crown tooth blades and you just need to flip the blade and keep on cutting.

Brian

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2012, 04:53:20 pm »
I use blades until the will no longer do what I ask of them. If the blade isn't broken, sometimes I will break it so I will not be tempted. Have a used blade container screwed to the table in easy reach.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

SMF

Teknoromi