Author Topic: Shop Fox W1713 16-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw  (Read 4196 times)

PoppaRob

Shop Fox W1713 16-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw
« on: August 11, 2012, 09:19:20 am »
Hello,

I just joined up and you let me in so after posting that I was here I thought I should ask if anyone can tell me if this is a good saw and anything I need to know about it, good or bad or bad or anything, how does this rate against other saws, please be honest with me, your opinion is what I want, not generic crap, lol

I was given this for a gift not long ago so I finally got ten around to looking at it and thought I would try to learn about it before I cut something off,

Blades, I don't know about them or how long they last in this thing, where is the best place to buy them, lowes, HD, wally world or online some place,

Thanks again for letting me in and hope to get some feed back soon,

Poppa Rob,

PoppaRob

Re: Shop Fox W1713 16-Inch Variable Speed Scroll Saw
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 09:42:40 am »
Ok, seems this question has been asked and I read the 3/4 post on it, did not see much to make a personal dislike of the saw, I did go to the sites that one post had and it was good enough to give this thing a try, who knows i might learn to like it, wait, I love wood smells, even burnt ones, lol

The one person that asked this be fore me is gone I take it, I did not try a personal post but think I will,

If you find something I need to know about this saw or advice please don't wait, send it, lol

Poppa Rob

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 10:45:56 am »
The biggest issue with these type of saws is with the blade adapters for using plain end blades. They work, but become tedious to use. If you don't plan on cutting a lot of inside cuts, they will be fine. But if you plan on doing a lot of fret work, you will soon be longing for a saw with easy blade clamps.
The Shop Fox saw itself in an entry level saw. There are a lot of folks who use these type of saws and do fine with them. I started out on a saw very much like this and used it for a couple of years. But I soon realized I needed an easier saw to use.
Dan In Southern California

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2012, 11:28:44 am »
for BLADES...most of us recommend Mike's Workshop <http://www.mikesworkshop.com/index.htm> for the best in Blades and absolutely the Very Best in knowledge and service!

Read over the information on Mike's website and then get yourself a Sample Pack of Flying Dutchman blades to try!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

PoppaRob

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2012, 07:18:56 pm »
dgman & GrayBeard,

Thanks for the replies, lol, on the blades I have a set (12) each of the FD-RS 3,5,7 (hope thats right) coming already, thanks for that GB and any other suggestions you might have,

dgman, About the saw changing of the blades, I'll find out about that when it gets here, should of been here already today but they got stuck in traffic about 50 miles away, so that means they'll end up spending the night, Gkids are great, but better at their home, lol, Miss Linda and our kids like it better that way too, our kids, dogs, Mr. TC, 3.5 year old chorkie, Missy, 2 year old pit-bull, Max, 1.75 year old rottweiler, 18 lbs, 45 lbs, 125 lbs,

I plan on using it, thats the plan so far, I have never seen one up close, never even thought much about this type of woodwork, this will be something to keep me inside this winter and not out falling down or hurting myself trying to get to the shed to do gun racks, shelves, stools, tables, toys and what ever pops into my head then with the wood supply I have on hand,

I look forward to learning something new and maybe make a few coin with too, lol

Thanks again and keep those suggestions and lessons coming in, lol

Poppa Rob

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 01:12:21 pm »
Glad to meet Ya's Pappa Rob....  Danny here in Alabama....  You asked and heres my experience.  Started scrolling approx. 6 years ago.  Started with a Lowes cheapie scrollsaw.  Under $100 and this was good at first, but slowly it started having troubles.  Second was another Lowes $125 and again same as the first.  Then I was blessed with my brother giving me a 12 year old Hegner.  Have had it approx. 3 years now and have never had any problems with it.  Long story short in my views is if you can afford a higher priced scrollsaw you will enjoy this hobby more.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

PoppaRob

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 07:47:17 pm »
Danny,

I hear ya on the "afford it", right now I have enough money to pay the bills and still enough to buy shoes, lol, the food comes out of Miss Linda's pocket, hope she don't go on that diet again, I lost everything I had gained from the last time, lol, thank goodness the holidays are close, lol, fatten up a bit,

No I am doing this this way, it cost me nothing for this saw, my daughter and Gkids got this somehow, had it about 6 months i think, decided to give it to me and there you go, buy if I like this type of woodworking I'll go out and get a better one if need be, Picture at bottom,

I have a question, does this effect Arthritis, my hands, fingers and wrist are a problem for me at times from all that wire twisting I did when I worked,

Another one, do they make some add-on screws for saws at the place where you tighten the blades in, so as to not have to use a wrench, maybe I can make something,

I still don't have the saw yet, they came to see me this weekend to bring me the saw and forgot the darn saw, lol, picture at bottom,
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 07:50:44 pm by PoppaRob »

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 07:51:19 am »
Hey Rob, it can effect your arthritis but when you get used to holding your wood - you will find ways to overcome it.  We all tend to get a "death grip" on our pieces especially when it is a delicate cut but it is not necessary.  If you use a light hand - enough to hold the wood down - you will find it doesn't bother your arthritis as much.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 05:28:41 pm »
Hey Rob....Heres my another 2 cents worth....  Looked at your future hobby saw and I can see that with arithis you could experience difficulity.  Looks like the Knob that controls the tension in the back will need to be turned EVERY time you have to cut a inside cut of say a Fretwork project.  Thats loosing the blade (me TOP).  Doesn't look like you can use the PINLESS blades.  Not cool....  Just study up on the operation of the saw and give it a good go.  Scrolling is a Wonderful, Fullfilling Hobby.  Danny :+)
Danny  :+}

PoppaRob

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 09:40:04 am »
Danny,

Thanks for the info, hope your wrong on the pin less blades, I ordered only those, lol, it says I can use either and instruction how to do it, lol,

I'll just do/deal with this for a long time or until I get way into this alot, I'm getting the saw for nothing, gift, might of said that already, memory block, then I'll get what I can then but with the knowledge that I will gain from you and other members and time dealing with the learning and practice of scrolling it will bring,

What I am wanting to learn more about is how to make it work with my dust collector, it has a connection of I think, 1.25 in the front, do you have this or something like it, I was looking at the homemade one on line but don't think I'll need that one, lol

Ok, need to get to working outside before I can't,

Poppa Rob

Robert Phillips

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2012, 11:46:09 am »
Hi Rob

i have the exact same saw athough under a different name and it does use pinless blades although its a bit of a pain to change n yea you do have to lossen the tension and retighten everytime you do an inside cut. But once you get used to it it gets easier.

Rob

PoppaRob

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2012, 12:12:29 pm »
Robert,

Thanks for the reply, may I ask what name is it under for your's, I maybe yelling at you later on any short cuts or things I find that I need help on with it, how long you had it by the way, I have only looked at in the house, then carried it out to the shed and plugged in and turned on the light, got a piece of 3/4 wood and turn it on and cut a short cut and turned off, walked out to rest,

No not from the saw work, lol, from one of my dogs that wants to play all the time, he gets a bit overly physical at time and thinks I am a drag toy, can't wait til he gets to be a 2 year old, then I'll have a better ideal of his final size,

Ok, thanks again for info and knowing I can call on someone with the same machine, lol, Oh, do you have it on a stand or table, I am looking at building one after I finish some gun racks and stands, hunting season is almost here and I am behind in my orders, lol, like always,

Poppa Rob

SMF

Teknoromi