Author Topic: Question  (Read 8774 times)

Offline Paw Paw Ray

• View Profile
    • Paw Paws Workshop
Re: Question
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 09:25:10 am »
Depends on the project.  Mostly I use wipe on tung oil or clear spray.

rbaron

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 09:50:15 am »
here is some of the things i make not sure where to post these

How do you see the .jpg's you posted? I clicked on one, something downloaded but there wasn't and "data" in the picture. In fact the four pictures you have up there all show "oK" for the size?

Confused..........

AL

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 10:17:29 am »
i like to make my own "stains" by diluting artists acrylic paint with water.  i can create an color i want and its cheap.  i little color without covering the beauty of the wood is nice. 

texasgkb

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 10:39:03 am »
Depends on the piece. Generally I'll pour Minwax into a spray bottle and use that most of the time. From time to time I use the lemon oil. Has anyone tried alcohol-based stains? Can't find it around here and would like some feedback on it.

Offline campasano

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 10:47:50 am »
I use oil based stains and krylon clear polyurathane It also depends on the type of wood I use and at times I just use minwax products.
Do your part - go green - save the earth

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 12:02:42 pm »
However I decide to finish a project, whether it is tung oil, blo, shellac or rattle can lacquers.  I always let it cure for a couple of days and then I use a product called.
"Liquid Gold"  it is like a furniture polish.  Boy oh Boy makes em smooth as a babies backside.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 12:12:31 pm »
I use a water-based Polycrylic. I can't hold a paintbrush very well so I started spraying my finish on with an airbrush. I found a very inexpensive one at Harbor Freight tools. I end up with a beautiful finish.

Offline Caribbean Scroller

• View Profile
    • http://www.woodartz.blogspot.com
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 01:43:41 pm »
I use spray polyurethane all the time.

Joesawdust

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 04:12:50 pm »
My preferred finish is danish oil, usually 2 coats. If I clear coat something I use Deft spray semi gloss

cheehc880

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 05:10:37 pm »
Depends on what I'm making. I try to use natural finishes in toys to reduce toxicity. When I use poly or varnish I finish polishing with pieces of brown paper lunch bag. Does the same job as #0000 steel wool without the dust.

Magic

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 05:39:29 pm »
I use Danish oil,  Tung oil, 50/50 Boiled Linseed oil and spirits, and other 'child safe' organic oils for toys. I also use poly sealer sprays.  It all depends on what I am making and the end use.  Magic

dgross3910

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 07:12:03 pm »
We at the school use Danish Oils (Golden Oak to Dark Walnut) and then we top it of by applying Tung Oil for shine. It is easier for the kids to apply. When we used the spray urethanes they could never get the right amount or they would over spray to reach inside fret areas causing dripping.

woody357

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 10:16:36 pm »
steve,
I realy enjoyed the tung oil that i used when I made My wifes butterfly. I think it brought out the richness and depth of the Padauk and Oak.

[attachment deleted by admin]

steviegwood

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 10:39:18 pm »
Hi Steve, mostly I cut fretwork projects as you have seen in the past. I mainly use a crystal clear high gloss spray lacquer on my inventory as that is what sells the best for me at shows. It is also easier to dust off with an air hose than the wife's duster. Shiny just sells better for me. Personal preference though would be a satin finish lacquer. Steve

Offline Ablade

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 11:11:40 pm »
90% of what I do is red oak.  I stain it in a bath of MinWax Golden Oak.  it is then sprayed with poly (not from a rattle can).  For woods like walnut, maple, pecan, etc I may use MinWax Natural or Danish Oil.  If I use Natural I will spray it with poly.  If I use Danish Oil that is all I do.  Like several people have stated, it all depends upon what I am doing.

Norm

SMF

Teknoromi