Author Topic: Scroll Saw Magazines  (Read 7601 times)

northie66

Scroll Saw Magazines
« on: April 22, 2010, 09:17:52 pm »
I'd like to sign up to get a few... which are your favorites and why?

wgm

Re: Scroll Saw Magazines
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 09:30:42 pm »
The one I like is "Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts" and the Scrollsaw Workshop internet along with this Community

cherie

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 10:08:41 pm »
I too am a fan of Scrollsaw Woodworking and Crafts.  I love the patterns they provide and for some reason (and I am sure people are gonna take me wrong when I say this) they are not as stuck up in the way the magazine is put together. It is hard for me to explain, but this is the impression I get from other magazines.  Sorry if this is too forward.

EZgoing

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 10:45:51 pm »
Cherie, it's input like that - that I for one very much appreciate...

THANKS!!!

Ez

Joesawdust

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 10:53:07 pm »
Cherie, it's your opinion and your entitled to it. Both of the Scroll saw magazines have their good and bad points, best thing is to pick up copies of both and check them out before subscribing, I look at them at Books A Million and buy whichever has more to offer in that issue. I also subscribe to a couple of other general woodworking magazines. One in particular that I think is worth checking out is Shop Notes, it has general tips for the shop and such, lots of good info in it, you can probably find them on the web and get a trial issue.
Greg

gunado

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 12:27:38 am »
Where can I find this magazine and who puts it out. Scroll Saw Woodworking & Crafts
Do you have a web address I can look at.
It is a bit hard to get this sort of books or mags in Australia.

m_r_dxn

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 01:08:55 am »
do a google search for "scroll saw woodworking and crafts".  Also try "creative woodworks and crafts".  Like stated already, both are good magazines.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 02:46:18 am »
I have had ScrollSaw Woodworking & Crafts from the very first one but I must admit I don't like it as mush as I used to.  They have a lot of intarsia and I am not into that yet, maybe one day.  I don't know I just think they don't put in enough, oh I don't know, just ignore me.  Perhaps I'm too picky.  Lol

Marg   :-\
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

dankc908

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 07:23:02 am »
I have had ScrollSaw Woodworking & Crafts from the very first one but I must admit I don't like it as mush as I used to.  They have a lot of intarsia and I am not into that yet, maybe one day.  I don't know I just think they don't put in enough, oh I don't know, just ignore me.  Perhaps I'm too picky.  Lol

Marg   :-\

I have subscribed to both - neither at present - the reason for this is, as Marg said, "a lot of intarsia ... " and that really does not interest me.  I'm getting more and more of what I need from sites like this one!

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 07:27:21 am »
as far as magazines I dont currently subscribe to any, but I do get the following catalogs......woodworkers supply, grizzly, harbor freight tools, klockit(clock supplies), rockler.

Wandascroller

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2010, 09:01:53 am »
Hi Gunado You sound just like me I am gunado so many things when I get around to them LOL
I order my magazines at my local newsagent here in Lismore. I have no trouble getting them. They also carry a couple in stock.
Though I get one from there at the moment & the other by mail/subscription from the USA.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2010, 09:51:34 am »
I have had a subscription to both magazines since 94.  Just received my renewal for Scrollsaw Woodworking & Crafts and don't think I will renew for the same reasons as stated before (too much intarsia and not enough real scrolling).  Much prefer Creative Woodworks and Crafts.

cherie

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2010, 10:15:39 am »
I made a mistake when I said the name of the magazine, however I am in agreement with everyone on the board Creative Woodworks and Crafts is the way to go, and what I said above still applies but this is the magazine I purchase.  Sorry folks.  And why am I in college again?  LOL

juvy

« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2010, 07:14:45 pm »
Gunado..... we're in Australia.... I buy ALL of the scroll saw magazines for our club, this means we can keep the price down, less then half of what the newsagency charges.

Where in Australia are you? Adding shipping would still keep it well below.
We only get the SSWC.... folks at Fox Chapel are wonderful, very helpful, very reliable! We contacted the other one, they aren't helpful and generally much more expensive and tend to not even answer e-mails.

As for content.... I noticed with both of them that there are more and more projects you can't do unless you have a decent workshop with a lot of other tools then just a scroll saw.  Guess that happens because there are only so many ideas to go around.... but it can be frustrating.... you see a wonderful project only to read the instructions and realize you either don't have the right equipment or you don't have the experience to use some of the tools...

Juvy

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2010, 08:38:39 pm »
I know the editors a SSWC magazine want their articles to represent what their readers want to see. I don't know them well but I have talked to Shannon and Bob. It's easy to tell they are dedicated to their readers. I'm sure they would want to know how everyone feels about magazine content. Here is the editors email address. Drop them a line and share you point of view. I bet you will see a change if they get enough email. editors@Scrollsawer.com

SMF

Teknoromi