Author Topic: What types and thickness wood do you use  (Read 2759 times)

Papahawg

What types and thickness wood do you use
« on: April 21, 2010, 10:56:52 am »
Thanks for all the replies to my previous post...

Which brings me to the topics question...

What wood and thickness do you use for portraits?

I think it would help many scrollers me especially if perhaps Steve could sticky a sorta "General type and thickness of wood for this type project"

If you search the internet it's really hard to find any info as to what wood type or thickness to use for portraits or other projects.

Steve has done an excellent job with his PDF layouts that do show the thickness wood used for that project. Thanks Steve!!

But, it would be nice for a new scroller to come in here and find a General rule of thumb for this or that project.

Just a thought...

Thanks again Steve for this great forum for all of us

Mike

Charlie Dearing

Re: What types and thickness wood do you use
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:13:28 am »
There really isn't a "requirement" for specific thickness of wood for portraits.  It's pretty much up to you.  I generally use 1/4 inch.  I'm sure some use 1/8 inch.  I also don't have a specific wood, but I believe the most common choice is Baltic Birch.

cherie

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 11:20:51 am »
Doesn't it depend on what kind of portrait you are cutting and the type of wood?  I have used 1/8 and 1/4.  Just my thoughts.

Marshall

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 12:03:30 pm »
I use 1/8" thick BB plywood when I'm cutting two or more Portraits at a time . I always cut more than one because they'll always be a demand for more than one ........my two cents...and this is one slow sucker downloading today...Marshall

Joesawdust

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 02:23:55 pm »
I tend to use 1/8" if I'm going to use a store bought frame, but if I'm making a frame I'll use 1/4". 1/4" also gives it more depth. As far as the type of wood, I try to match the wood to the pattern, whatever wood will make it look its best.
Greg

cornishpisky

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 03:22:53 pm »
I prefer 1/4" Baltic Birch Ply for portraits but i have used 1/4" and 1/2" Pine and had some good results, i've also tried 1/4" MDF but it's no good for fine detailed cuts as it's very weak, and it really needs to be coloured when finished, it really all depends on your project and what sort of end result you want, thin wood can look a bit flat, thicker wood adds depth and shadows, try experimenting with different woods and thickneses, you might be supprised with some of the results...

Ian

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 06:28:21 pm »
I use 1/4 and 1/8th baltic birch. I'd like to try (experiment) with other types of wood later on. I have been purchasing my wood from a regular seller on ebay for awhile now, cant seem to find anything local near me.

chips

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2010, 10:53:02 pm »
As mentioned. It all depends. For Intarsia projects I'll use 3/4" mostly. Puzzles & fretwork I use 1/4" BB, and thin projects like Steve's key chain program I resaw lumber to get 1/8". For lumber I've used most of the common woods and quite a few of the exotics. I try to find wood that for a project that doesn't need staining or painting as I like to see the natural grain of the wood.

Chips

jim stiek

« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2010, 08:40:14 am »
I have cut portraits from baltic birch and oak ply both work well but can give you a completely different look for the same pattern. Also if you put different colored paper; I use construction paper in between the wood pieces it can sometimes give you surprising results and takes very little effort to do several extra copies and I have sold these more readily than the plywood ones at times.

SMF

Teknoromi