Author Topic: Question about finishing  (Read 2587 times)

Becky

Question about finishing
« on: April 21, 2010, 12:32:25 am »
Hi all.  I have been making boxes from Gary McKay's book lately.  I've been making the knitting box mostly except for using metal hinges and clasps on the front.  If you haven't seen the book, the pattern uses 1/4" wood and box joints at the corners with a separate lid.

I cut my scroll sawing teeth on Steve's videos (only got my first saw in December) so for finishing, my first step is a dunk in lemon oil.  For the boxes, I have allowed the lemon oil to "dry" for a couple of days or so and then followed up with Minwax wipe on poly.  When that is done I let them sit for another couple of days before adding the hardware just to get fully dry so the lid doesn't get any ideas about sticking to the box.  Can you tell I have no idea what I am doing?  LOL

That worked fine until I made a box from bubinga.  After the wipe on poly part and before hardware installation, the piece that made the bottom of the box warped enough that it wouldn't sit flat on a table.  A friend of mine (a woodworker) told me that cutting wood releases inner tensions and sometimes that results in warping.  I did some research on my own and learned that coarse-grained woods have a tendency to warp during finishing.

Sanding on top and bottom made the box flat again but now the top and bottom need to be refinished.  Is there anything I can do to prevent the warping the second time around?  I am wondering if a sealer or something would do the trick.  It seems like I have to be able to end up at the wipe on poly again to make it match up with the rest of the box.

It might be that this particular box is a loss and a learning experience.  I would sure be grateful for your collective advice.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Question about finishing
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 05:35:16 am »
From my experiance warping is due to moisture. If you read this artical it does make sense. http://www.ehow.com/how_2078078_repair-warped-wood.html I hope this helps.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

keidiag

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 09:10:22 am »
I've had the same thing happen to me with various species of wood, not just Bubinga. Your wood working friend is right about the stresses changing the structure of the wood and causing the war-page. This happens when you resaw a thick piece into thinner pieces. My experience is that the thinner the piece of wood the more war-page you will get. As far as I know there is no way that this kind of war-page can be prevented.

However....

Was the 1/4" thick piece of wood flat before you you did the scrolling? If it was then the lemon oil dunk caused your problem, don't dunk, just brush or wipe it on both surfaces.

I used to use the lemon oil treatment as well, but 6 months ago I switched to Semi Gloss Brushing Lacquer. Haven't had any war-page yet!!! Usually 2 coats is sufficient and the nice thing is that you do not have to do any hand sanding in between coats.

Hope this helps.

Happy scrolling...Keith

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 09:50:17 am »
Check out Mac Simmons on finishing, he has great tips, and great site.  Edward

Becky

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:28:37 pm »
Thanks for your responses.  I printed the article from ehow.  I do have some slightly warped wood out in the shop.  I can give it a try.  I wonder which side is the bottom of the wood though!   :D

Keidiag, yes, it was flat when I started.  It stayed flat throughout the finishing.  Then when I went to add the hardware, all of a sudden it didn't sit flat on the table.  Ack!  It might be a total loss but I will try just wiping some oil on the newly sanded areas and see if I can redo the finish.  It'll be (has been) a learning experience if nothing else.  It'd be a darn shame to have wasted such a pretty piece of wood though so I am hoping for the best.

Edward, I bookmarked that page.  Thanks.  Seeing it gave me an ah-ha moment.  He has a book.  It has made me realize I could probably find a book full of finishing ideas and tips from the library.  (duh)

SMF

Teknoromi