Author Topic: college mascots  (Read 5256 times)

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
college mascots
« on: April 19, 2010, 09:00:44 pm »
so, is there a problem to make and sell college mascot scrolls?  i'd love to make a few wisconsin badgers and ahhhh - no so many hawkeyes  ;)
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Joesawdust

Re: college mascots
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 10:25:29 pm »
I'm sure that they are all copyrighted, but it would be best to check with each school as there may be differences in their rules.

Offline Ablade

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 11:17:43 pm »
There could be a problem.  I know that college logos are registered trademarks of the school.  As such you have to get permission, buy the rights, to use the logos.  I would check with a few schools to see what they have to say about their mascots.  Let us know what you find out, please.

Norm

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2010, 01:35:15 am »
It seems that every school has a different licensing contract. The cost to license can vary greatly. Some schools are very aggressive in perusing trademark violations. Understandable. The images can be very valuable properties to the schools. Many craft show marketing groups will reject you if you can't show proof that you have licensed the image if it is something they recognize.

Take a look at this sales pitch from a licensing company to high schools. They offer to help license and protect the trademark for high schools. The schools are not even the ones who actually protect their logo. They hire people to do it for them. That kind of tells you how serious they take it. http://ilchq.com/faq/

Offline Barry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2010, 09:39:37 pm »
Copyrights are a big thing.  If you are going to make items and give them as presents, it is usually no problem.  But if you go to sell those same items you can run into a lot grief.

Football and Basketball items sell great and that is why the images are so closely guarded by the respective schools.

Barry

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 10:00:35 pm »
I can only repeat what everyone else has said. I would say 99% of all college mascots and logos are copyrighted. I had a friend who just put a picture of a college logo on his web site just because he was a fan and recieved a Cease & Desist notice shortly after. For your own personel use it is usually not a problem.
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2010, 11:19:58 am »
I could be so rich if I could get legal permission to do Texas Longhorn pics.  Then again, I think you'd have to be rich to be able to GET licensed.  Sigh

jim stiek

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 08:43:07 am »
some colleges are very expensive but if you check for a crafters liscense some have these they generally run under $200 and you are limited  as to the number of things you can produce. I know Oklahoma OU and Oklahoma state OSU have such programs.

SMF

Teknoromi