Author Topic: Scroller  (Read 4719 times)

Offline Leldon

• View Profile
Scroller
« on: August 31, 2016, 10:01:35 pm »
You know, it's pretty crappy how Scroller Limited thinks they can just go to some of the top scroll saw pattern designers sites and basically copy any pattern they think will be popular. From Sheila Bergner-Landry, the keys, Keith Fenton, the angel ornaments and ornate ornament set, and from Sue Mey the snow globes.

I've been in this industry for close to 20 years and I can say that with in the last few years it seems like no one takes into consideration respect that is due to designers any more. We have some great talent that is going to eventually quit designing patterns for us to purchase if we aren't careful. Sure, free patterns are great, but they still lack so much 90% of the time.  Yes, I realize that the designers don't own a "concept", but what happened to all the respect that there used to be.

This isn't to even bringing up all the illegally downloaded patterns that people do. That's another rant for another day.

I can tell you one thing Scroller Limited will not ever get a penny of my money.

Leldon

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
Re: Scroller
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 10:23:40 pm »
There is only one reason I continue to get the catalogs from "Scroller" and friends....It gives me great pleasure to take them from the mailbox to the trash can!!!!
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2016, 11:58:09 am »
I whole heartedly agree Leldon and Scrollers Ltd has been doing this for years.  I will never do business with them.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2016, 12:09:22 pm »
I get email updates from Sue Mey, as well as Sheila and Keith, showing all their latest patterns, so when I glanced through my new copy of Scroller, I didn't even notice that the 3 items Leldon discussed weren't the originals.  Looking closer, he's right....they're ripoffs!

These 3 designers offer us so many patterns and such great service, it just makes sense to buy directly from them and make sure we're getting the their original product.  Add to that the price is generally better, and you get free email shipping.  I hate both paying for shipping and waiting a week for my patterns to arrive.  Yesterday I had some time to kill waiting for a phone call, so browsed Sheila's site and had my patterns within about 15-20 minutes of when the order was placed.  You just can't beat the service!  Orders from Sue Mey take a bit longer, but that's just 'cause she's halfway around the world, and probably sound asleep when I order.  Still fast delivery.  We need to support these creative people.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2016, 07:17:38 am »
The longer you do this, the easier it will become to recognize different designers.  Most of them will sell their patterns through other means than scroller or Winfield designs.  I have googled pattern designers by name and found most of the designs I see in those publications.  If I can find the source, I always order directly from the designer. 

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2016, 10:31:36 am »
I have to admit that I was oblivious to this practice.  I've been participating in various scrolling forums for several years and I can't recall ever seeing this mentioned before.  I've purchased patterns from some of these places, never even suspecting that they may not be original.  Given the sensitivity within the scrolling community for copyright issues, I'm amazed such a practice is permitted to continue.  How is it that something like this isn't more common knowledge, or is it common knowledge and I'm just completely clueless?   
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 01:30:37 am »
I would rather go directly to the source, IE., the one that made the pattern than to a large company, they are so unscrupulous nowadays. 

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Paladin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 10:11:00 am »
So I just got the new catalog yesterday, and my wife is in love with the three plaques that are on the front cover - the round ones with the seahorse, clownfish, and turtle in them.  Are these copies from another designer?  If so, I would love to find the originals and purchase them.  I don't recognize them from someone else's work.

Thanks,
Steve

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 08:12:22 pm »
Steve,

It would appear this is Scroller's wall art. The initials at the end usually identifies the pattern maker.

Here is what I think some of them are:

BW - Bruce Worthington
FCB - Fox Chapel Books
FC - Fox Chapel
DT - Diana Thompson
MK - Gary MacKay (?)
JP - John Polhemus
MZ - Paul Meisel
MW - Mike Williams (?)
CD - Charles Dearing
JZ - Jeff Zaffino

There are quite a few more, but you'd have to see them in context with the pattern (i.e. there is a GR, but it is with fretwork pattern - not intarsia).

I would be most curious on SC as this is the most prominent initials. Maybe this is their own in house designer.  (I have always thought Sue Christenson (sp?), but I could be wrong.)

Feel free to order from them without feeling guilty.

Karl

SMF

Teknoromi