Author Topic: Hickory Wood  (Read 2913 times)

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
Hickory Wood
« on: May 16, 2014, 10:45:33 pm »
I got some Hickory today from a scrap bin. One of the sales people told me Hickory is too hard to cut with a scroll saw and that it will break all my blades. Has anyone on here ever cut Hickory or is this man pretty much right?

Offline Gadois

• View Profile
Re: Hickory Wood
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2014, 04:28:33 am »
I made a Thomas wooden gear clock from Hickory. It works well on a scroll saw. It is quite hard and the teeth of the gears on the clock show no wear after years of use.

Cheers,
Gadois
If you can't learn how to do something well, learn how to enjoy doing it poorly.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2014, 05:43:38 am »
I have used it and do not prefer it for scrolling. It is very hard and you will go through more blades than usual. If you keep it to a ?" and under thickness it's not to bad. Did I mention I don't prefer it for scrolling.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 08:13:48 am »
Hickory is a very hard wood.  That is why they use it for hammer handles.  It can be scrolled.  The harder any wood is, you will go through more blades.  You might try a polar blade.  Call Mike at Mikes Workshop for recommendations.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 10:06:30 am »
I'm not sure these hammer handles are hickory wood or not but, I think you can cut ANY kind of wood on a scroll saw if you use the correct blade and just take your time.
Thickness of the wood does come into play and it may cost a few more blades but, I am not afraid to try anything twice.  ;)

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2014, 11:56:36 am »
If you already bought it, go ahead and make something and post an article. Hickory is hard but steel blades are harder. Saying you can't cut it is not reasonable. Scroll saw blades cost about 25 cents each so you don't have much to lose and may learn something worth knowing.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2014, 01:23:12 pm »
If you already bought it, go ahead and make something and post an article. Hickory is hard but steel blades are harder. Saying you can't cut it is not reasonable. Scroll saw blades cost about 25 cents each so you don't have much to lose and may learn something worth knowing.

A lot of good comments on here. I think this is right. I have bought the wood and it was only $0.75 a board. So, I will see what I can make and when I am done I will report it. Thanks for the support.

Creative Firewood Maker

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 12:46:39 am »
Hickory is HARD, but can be cut with patients and good blades.  I use the FD-PSR1 #1 Penguin Silver Rev.  It is .030w .011t 20tpi(8 rev).  Remember to go slow and put package tape over your pattern.  The blades tend to burn the corners if you don't. 
I cut Names for Wedding gifts and anniversaries and welcome signs.  I haven't had any problem with the letters breaking off the finished pieces.  I use Danish oil to finish them.  I'd say I get about 1/2 hr. out of the blade before I have to change it.  My pieces usually take about an hr. to cut.  I use 3/4".  Watch out for drill bit travel, small bits will follow the grain.

SMF

Teknoromi