Author Topic: Best woods for fretwork  (Read 3045 times)

no1texan

Best woods for fretwork
« on: November 09, 2013, 11:41:11 pm »
I'm sure this topic has been discussed before, maybe several times but I couldn't one.

I am scrolling Steve's Christmas ornaments and gift box. First ornaments cut from Walnut and then Maple and all went well. Then I cut the Santa Claus from Poplar and broke in one area. I like and use Poplar a lot but seems to me, compared to Walnut and Maple, that Poplar is not as strong and is more prone to breaking.

What are some of the best hardwoods for fretwork particularly stronger and less likely to break? 
Thanks

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Best woods for fretwork
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2013, 06:16:05 am »
I find that tight-grained hard wood does best for fretwork. 

Maple, cherry, and sometimes even ash are good choices.  Poor choices are softer wood or wood with an open grain such as oak.  While oak is beautiful and one of my favorites, it doesn't hold up well when planed to thicknesses under 1/4" (such as for ornaments, etc.) when cutting detailed fretwork.  It is fine for less detailed projects though. 

My partner Keith wrote an article on types of wood.  It is called North American Hardwoods and the Scroll Saw.  It may be of interest to you. :)

http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/articles/north-american-hardwoods

I hope this helps. :)  Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2013, 09:36:20 pm »
As usual, Sheila comes through with helpful and accurate information!  Good for all of us Sheila!
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline mainberg

• Better than drivers' license pix
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 01:55:40 pm »
I like 1/8" maple for ornaments. Birch is working, too. Looked at the ash, but it wasn't as light colored. Have been using the light colored wood as the ornament shows up better on the green trees.
Pat B

joey65746

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2013, 10:25:28 pm »
I use Baltic birch you can use 1/8" and it is very strong and you can stain it with any color u like or just spray it with finish

SMF

Teknoromi