Author Topic: Performax 16" scroll saw  (Read 11616 times)

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
Performax 16" scroll saw
« on: February 21, 2012, 04:35:41 pm »
I was given one of these to use as a traveling demo/student unit.  The manual says that it uses pin end blades only.  I've looked it over a bit and I think that it possibly could accept plain end blades as well, but it isn't really well designed for it.

My question for you folks, Is anyone here familiar with this saw?  I'm considering a clamp conversion kit from Pozsgai's Designs to upgrade the clamps, but I'm wondering if it's worth it?  I'm not trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear, just trying to find out of I can reasonably expect this thing to be a serviceable machine to use in a scroll saw class.  If anyone could share their experiences, good or bad, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Re: Performax 16" scroll saw
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 06:04:20 pm »
Sorry Bill, but I love hearing about different things.  Especially Scroll saws.
The name just doesn't even sound like one.  Will be interested in reading of others on this topic.  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 08:42:45 pm »
Found this

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-hardware/power-tools/saws/16-scroll-saw/p-1498056.htm

First impression - not impressed.

Will let the more experienced chime in.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Mainewoods

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 09:22:03 pm »
According to the manual at Menard's website, it WILL accept plain end blades.  As for quality/usefulness, I can speak for that.  As long as it's not vibrating violently, you should be able to make it work.

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:11:35 pm »
GO PACK GO

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:23:22 pm »
It looks to me like you need to use an allen wrench to change the blade. That gets really old quickly if you are used to a tool-less blade change. Other then that I would just worry about the vibration issue.

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2012, 08:01:15 am »
I was wandering around Lowes and took a look at the Skil 3335-01 scroll saw.  It looks to be pretty much a clone of the Performax.  If anyone has any experience with the Skil, I presume similar could be expected from the Performax.  I read some of the on-line reviews for the Skil and they were all over the place, not sure how helpful they were.

I'm still debating whether or not to invest in the clamp upgrade from Pozsgai's Designs.  I suppose I should put a blade in this thing and fire it up to see how bad the vibration is.  That will likely be the deciding factor as to whether I bother with this saw or not.

Thanks!
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 10:09:12 am »
Well, Bill...

Give it a go and report back in the interest of 'interest'...
I have a grandson showing a bit of interest in doing some scrolling.

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline TheMelster

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 11:54:22 am »
 :) :)I have this scroll saw from Harbor Freight.... pin and pinless. Uses both type blades...Mikes Fly Dutch. are the ticket. This machine works great, really... only reason I went to the Delta 40-690 was speed to thread blades and of course I got the great Price on it. For the $ U can't beat HF.
GO PACK GO

SMF

Teknoromi