Author Topic: Newbie here! :)  (Read 2417 times)

vhoskins

Newbie here! :)
« on: December 05, 2011, 05:53:27 pm »
Hi fellow crafters! My name is Veronica, nice to meet ya'll! I stumbled across this forum looking for patterns. I don't use a saw or anything, I cut paper (with an X-Acto knife)! I just love these patterns that you creative people have posted! I tried a few of my own, using Photoshop, I gotta tell ya, Grampa and a few of you others make it look easier than it really is!

By the way, Merry Christmas to you that celebrate it the way I do, and to those that like political correctness, Happy Holidays! :)

daliclimbs

Re: Newbie here! :)
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2011, 11:10:50 pm »
Hello Veronica. I'm Scott from West Virginia. Welcome!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2011, 11:19:51 pm »
Hey Veronica, We welcome you to the forum! We would love to see some of your work.
I'm Dan from Southern California. Come on on and join the fun.
Dan In Southern California

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2011, 11:23:22 pm »
Glad you found us. Hi I'm Russ from Florida. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum. A day without saw dust is like a day without sunshine.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 12:33:46 am »
Hi Veronica, welcome to the forum, I'm Marg from Australia
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

vhoskins

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 12:51:30 am »
Thank you for the warm welcomes!!! :) I would attach pictures that I edited in photoshop (to make it cut-able) but I don't know if it would infringe on copyright, they are both famous people. Would it be copyright or no, or would it be considered fair game since it would be considered creative commons?

tux_linux

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 04:11:01 am »
Hello!

Welcome. I'd like to see some of your handcrafted projects! Please post some pics.

The copyright is complicated.
Some patterns are free (and therefor imho out of control of the designer) and some commercial.
When in doubt ask. I have done so a couple of times (also for some paper craft pattern designers  ;D ). Some find it OK to use and modify a pattern, some are picky. But that's their decision and we have to regard it.

If using it for commercial use it's always recommended to ask.
I know that Steve is ok with it and so are most of us here. We won't post a pattern here if we don't want others to use it. The web is no private place.

vhoskins

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 04:39:45 am »
Thank you Torsten! I do cut these out for my own enjoyment, plus I don't think anyone wants to pay money for a picture cut into paper!  :D I posted 2 pictures into the gallery, one I own and the other (Robert Pattinson) I edited to make it into a pattern.

You know, you would think I would know more as far as the copyright goes since I do photography! LOL All I have kept up with is if I made the picture than it is mine...but never knew about as far as wood working goes, etc. Thanks for the tidbit! :)

The first one, of Tayler Lautner (Twilight saga) is one of the ones that I made into a pattern from a picture. The second one, of Dexter Morgan, I wanna say it was a pattern posted on here but I can't remember. If someone recognizes who made it, please let me know so I can credit them and thank them! :)

SheGold

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 04:40:20 am »
Hello Veronica and Merry Christmas to you! Welcome to the forum I'm Sheila from Texas....

vhoskins

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 04:42:34 am »
Thank you Sheila, Merry Christmas to you too (I know, I already said it lol)! I am a Texas too!!! H-Town!

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 07:17:58 am »
Hi Veronica and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you. 

tux_linux

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 08:15:33 am »
Those are looking fine! Put'em in a frame and go for it.
I have seen some really nice things made from paper on the last craft show. One man had some really good looking combined Origami/paper cut things and was in direct sight of mine. He did quite well!

Try to offer at etsy or similar web based platforms - you'll see if it is something people want or not. The invest would be quite small.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 08:23:39 am »
welcome to the form I'm Todd From Newfoundland Canada. nice work by the way.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

vhoskins

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 08:39:33 am »
Thank you Julie and Todd! It feels nice getting warm welcomes! :)

Torsten, thank you for the compliment! :) I will look into Etsy, maybe sell the cuts already framed or something? :)

Offline beginner

• Maker of custom fire wood
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 09:56:04 am »
Merry Christmas Veronica, welcome to the group.  I'm Jim from NC
Jim

SMF

Teknoromi