Author Topic: New menber  (Read 1623 times)

Offline RED GUM

• View Profile
New menber
« on: July 27, 2019, 09:42:41 pm »
My introduction. User name Red Gum. I am Australian located at Orange about four hours west of Sydney in a rural area that is fast changing for the worst with to many people who have decided this is better than the overcrowded city. We have a very big gold mine just south of our city and it appears we will be getting more mines in our district.

I have been a wood worker for many years taking in wood turning, whittling etc and for the last fifteen years a scroller. I have had a number of scroll saws ranging from the cheap entry level saws through to my General come Excalibur 16 inch that I have fitted with Pegus clamps. I am very happy with this saw and have no intention changing although I would like to try a Hegna.

My work has been intarsia, fret work, boxes etc. I have settled down to fret work now because as the birthdays pass by I find this more to my liking. I have done many projects including the Eiffel Tower, clocks. boxes etc,etc.

I have been loging into to Steve's sight for a long time but only just now decided to register. Steve's information is a very good back up.

Unfortunately scroll work is only just getting momentum in Australia. We are a bit limited in the saws available due to our market being small and not attracting the main manufacturers. This coupled with our electricity being 240v and any thing imported has to have the power changed but we get on very well with the machines we have.

Looking forward to being a member.

John

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: New menber
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 07:30:45 am »
Good Morning John from Orange Australia, I am Norm Fengstad from Nipawin, Saskatchewan, Canada. We live on the opposite sides of the world, Thanks for sharing about yourself and have a good day

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 09:56:37 am »
Welcome John (Red Gum) I'm Al from sunny So Calif.  I've made over 400 Intarsias with my 1986 Hegner without having any problems.  Still runs like new.  I'm sure you'd love one if you were able to try one.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline GLC

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 10:02:43 am »
John welcome to Steve's blog.  I am retired and have only been scrolling for a couple of years.  I have been a hobby woodworker for many years but transitioned to scrolling as I have had health issues bring some infirmity and poor sense of balance.  My table saw and the like are pretty unforgiving to a poor balance.  Fortunately, I discovered the pleasure of scrolling.  Regards >> GLC in Cypress, Texas

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2019, 11:45:01 am »
 ;D Hello from North Dakota
I'm from North Dakota

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2019, 05:09:44 pm »
Welcome to the forum, Joh,
I'm looking forward to seeing some of your projects.
Folks here are a friendly bunch for the most part and have shared
Intarsia, Boxes, Clocks, Fretwork, Turning, Pyrography, Whittling, etc
so, anything you'd like to share will definitely spark some-one's interest.
God Bless! Spirithorse

SMF

Teknoromi