Author Topic: Hello Everyone, newbie here!  (Read 2571 times)

MicahM

Hello Everyone, newbie here!
« on: August 31, 2013, 12:00:13 am »
Hello newbie scroller here,

I am new to this forum and new to scroll sawing. I am from Texas and I love woodworking, I do woodturning and powercarving and soon to be scroller! I am 20 years old, will be 21 on September 24th. I am getting a scroll saw for my birthday, thanks to my nice and generous aunt. :) Most people my age are excited to turn 21 so they can start drinking lol I am excited I get a scroll saw  :o ;D :D I actually haven't gotten my scroll saw yet, it is on order and waiting for shipment from Woodcraft at the moment. I was not sure what saw to get and I seen many people talking about Excalibur is good so I got the Excalibur 21" scroll saw Woodcraft currently has for $849.99. It is the black one that comes with the stand and foot pedal. I also ordered to assortment pack of Flying Dutchman blades from mikesworkshop.com. Is this a good setup to dive into scroll saw projects? Or have I gone all wrong?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 12:20:46 am by MicahM »

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
Re: Hello Everyone, newbie here!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2013, 04:31:38 am »
Hi Micah, welcome to the forum.  I'm Marg from Australia.  You seem to be a very sensible young man and yes you have got things right, very right.  What a fantastic Aunt and niece you must have. Don't forget to have some fun though. :D :D :D :D

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

rob roy

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2013, 04:43:56 am »
Hello Micah, I'm Roy from Scotland. Welcome to the mad house. I don't think you could have done any better.Some of us old timers have not graduated to an Excalibur yet ;D ;D. You'll get all the help and information you need here, just ask. So come on in and enjoy the fun. Hope you have a great birthday. You must be a favourite nephew. ;) ;).
Rob Roy.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2013, 06:38:13 am »
welcome to the forum i'm Todd from NL Canada.great choice on the sawand blades thats the same setup i use and love it.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2013, 06:43:56 am »
Hi Micah and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Thrall Texas.  Where in Texas are you?  Glad to have you.  Congratulations on such a great set up.  I have had my EX21 for a long time now and still think there is none better.  You are starting with the best in my opinion!  Have fun.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2013, 07:28:58 am »
Glad you found us Micah. Hi I'm Russ from Florida your local moderator. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

mcartist

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 07:29:57 am »
Welcome I'm new also, I'm Jeff from Az.

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2013, 08:05:09 am »
Greetings from South Dakota, welcome to the madness and addiction.  Enjoy, learn, have fun.

Al
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2013, 08:54:34 am »
Welcome Micah! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas. I also have the EX21 and love it!

Offline cdrover(Clyde)

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2013, 09:22:00 pm »
Hi Micah, that Ex21 is a pretty powerful saw. Maybe you should donate it to one of the less fortunate older codgers here on the forum and get yourself a cheap 16 inch craftsman to learn on.   Just kidding, that is the same set-up I have. you have found a great place to get pointers and advice. Hi, I am Clyde from Newfoundland, Canada. Welcome aboard.

What are we here for but to help others. (Author unknown)
Clyde

countryscroller

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2013, 10:01:17 pm »
Welcome, I'm Dustin from Ohio. Glad to have you with us. Sounds like you have done your homework on the saw and blades to get.

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2013, 09:50:46 am »
Welcome aboard. I'm in central Ohio. I got my black & gold EX-21 in February and it is an excellent tool. The FD blades are top notch. Now you need to find a source of cheap scrap hardwood and Baltic Birch plywood. Try local custom cabinet makers - all you need for very cheap or free.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2013, 09:23:25 pm »
Hi Micah and welcome!  You've got a great aunt.  You'll have to make something nice for her.

I'm John, aka Crabbyboater from Seattle, WA.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

mcartist

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2013, 11:43:24 pm »
Greetings from Arizona. I'm new also but learning a lot just paying attention

Offline iggygiles

• I jus love sawdust
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 03:06:06 am »
Welcome, WOW, What a start for you, Rolls Royce Machine, Rolls Royce Blades, Rolls Royce Forum an understanding of wood with your other activities and a lifetime in front of you. Boy, what a prospect you are. we wish you the very best Iggy Giles S/Wales UK.
Frustration is the food of invention.

SMF

Teknoromi