Author Topic: Selling your craft projects:  (Read 1307 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Selling your craft projects:
« on: April 19, 2010, 02:31:10 pm »
Is there a formula to use for deciding on the right price to ask for each craft?
Thanks in Advance....Danny   :)
Danny  :+}

cherie

Re: Selling your craft projects:
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 04:23:32 pm »
Danny,  from what I have read in the past, there really is no formula.  I go my area and the economy.  I am about the only scroller in my area and cannot really put a price on my work since I cannot cut full time.  I try to put the cost of my lumber, finishing, ect...into the price, but that is all I can do.  I am sure someone else can give you a better idea.  Good luck.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 04:55:39 pm »
I don't think there is a formula. I trying to learn that myself. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum.
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

MikesWoodShop

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 04:57:32 pm »
Danny, My friend and I sell our crafts for about $20 an hour. Most of my project take my about an hour or two and I charge about $5 in materials. Most of my work is priced between $20 and $60. I have sold some larger items for over that. My friend told me once that made me understand, you are selling art not a garage sale item. Your art needs to be valued and so does your time. If you put time and effort into your work someone will be willing to pay for it. That doesnt mean cranking out as many simpel projects out of pine and selling, it means showing you placed time, thought and passion into your pieces.

MikesWoodShop

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 05:03:08 pm »
Oh another quick tip on selling danny. If you price your work low it will make people associate the item with cheap. If you price your work for its worth, although some may think its too high your work will still seem valuable. For instance you make a jewelry box with several kinds of wood and some delicate fretwork. If you sell it for $10 just to sell it, then someone buying something for someone else will feel they bought a cheap gift for someone. Now if you take the same box and sell it for $35 to $40 someone will feel they bought a great unique item for a friend, at a valuable price without overspending.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2010, 10:19:48 am »
I THANK all of you for your information.  I did get into my very first craft fair back in Nov. 09 and like you stated I made lots of small items which I priced at $5 and all sold.  I know now that this price was to cheap considering the costs of the wood, stain and varnish and all the final sanding.  I did learn from this fair, so my next one is in July and will be priced differently.  I thank all you again....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

SMF

Teknoromi