Author Topic: Hello from across the Pond :)  (Read 3046 times)

Lorn.S

Hello from across the Pond :)
« on: October 08, 2012, 06:38:02 pm »
Joined awhile ago but never got around to introducing myself...I'm a Scot living in Yorkshire, UK...husband loves woodworking and Pyrography...decided I liked the look of his scroll saw so asked if I could have a go...cut a few basic test shapes...enjoyed it but not enamoured with cutting stars and xmas trees so found a picture on my PC that I thought would make a good scroll saw design...I duly stuck it to a piece of baltic ply and drilled the internal holes and set about "playing"...I thoroughly enjoyed it and am hooked...have just cut another 3 fretwork pieces and love it...am planning many different projects now :)

Here's a picture of my 1st scrollsaw/fretwork project...I know it's not perfect so if any of you more experienced scrollers have any advice etc I would be happy to listen.

Offline jrpeteo

• View Profile
Re: Hello from across the Pond :)
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2012, 07:29:48 pm »
Welcome
The only one who may think it's not perfect, is you. Suprisingly, scrollers are usually there own worst critics. I think it looks great, for a 1st or 101st project!
Pete
Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress. But I repeat myself.
- Mark Twain

countryscroller

« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2012, 07:40:14 pm »
Welcome, I'm Dustin aka Country Scroller from Ohio. That looks great for your first project. You can only get better. Glad to have you with us.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2012, 07:55:30 pm »
Welcome to the forum lorn. I'm Dan from Southern California. Come on in and join the fun!
Dan In Southern California

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2012, 01:10:53 am »
Hi Lorn welcome to the forum, I'm Marg from Australia.  My first scroll saw was my husband, I asked him how it worked and that was it I was hooked and I was never off it and he never managed to get a go. lol  Your cutting looks great to me and you will be your own worst critic doesn't matter how long you've been scrolling for.  Your addiction as begun there will be no stopping you now.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2012, 04:12:14 am »
Hi Lorn, welcome to the forum, I'm Keith from Cornwall. Your first project looks great, more so bearing in mind you made the pattern as well. As everyone here commented, you will always be your own worst critic. All you need to remember is when you are cutting and come off the line work your way back to it gently without a sharp turn to get back on line, then when the pattern is removed there will only be yourself who knows you ever made a mistake.
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2012, 06:53:06 am »
Looks good to me, Lorn.  Hi and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad you found us.

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 07:23:29 am »
Hi Lorn welcome to the forum i'm Todd from NL Canada

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline Al W

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 08:09:03 am »
Greetings Lorn, and welcome to the addiction from South Dakota, USA.  Enjoy and learn.
Molon Labe

Believe half of what you see, and none of what you hear.

The government is NOT always right, or on your side.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 08:18:26 am »
Hi Lorn, I'm Russ from Florida. Welcome to the Scrollsaw Forum. Jump in and let the sawdust fly.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 09:25:01 am »
Welcome Lorn! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas. Wish my first project looked as good as yours! I got my first one hung on the wall by my saw to remind me how well I have progressed and how much delight scrolling has brought to my life!

rob roy

« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2012, 10:24:20 am »
Hi Lorn, I'm Roy from Scotland. Welcome to the family, come in and make a pile of sawdust. Remember, there is no antidote for the scrolling bug Lorn.
Rob Roy 

Lorn.S

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2012, 10:25:09 am »
 ;D thank's for the extremely friendly welcomes everyone...I admit I am already totally hooked on the fretwork and scrolling...but what better an occupation than doing something one really enjoys  ;D

I have to agree re the comments about being critical of own work...my husband is never happy with what he makes...always feels he could improve on it...and I tell him exactly what many of you have told me on this thread...lol

There is some fantastic work by on here and so many talented people...I look forward to popping in and benefiting from the experience and wisdom that is shared so freely.  :)

I'll post some more photos in the appropriate section of the forum.

Cheers
Lorn

ps...I like smilies so will probably use lot's...lol

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2012, 01:16:25 pm »
Hi Lorn
JO from Oregon Coast USA
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

bzeyher

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2012, 07:50:01 pm »
Great work, keep it up. Looking forward in seeing more.

SMF

Teknoromi