Author Topic: bent blades  (Read 2851 times)

Offline termite

• View Profile
bent blades
« on: December 17, 2011, 10:19:35 pm »
have a 788 & it is putting an offset in my top blade. have adjusted set screw so many times i've
about wore out my allen wrench. have sanded & cleaned both screws. no matter where my set screw is it puts the offset in it. it lasts about 2 cuts & then breaks off & is then too short. tomorrow i will try a new blade holder & see what happens. anybody ever had this problem? will try any reasonable
suggeston.  thanks termite

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: bent blades
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2011, 12:41:46 am »
Hey Termite, Unfortunately it is one of the problems with the 788. If you are having this problem with the top clamp, it means you are a bottom feeder. I'm  a top feeder, so it happens to the bottom clamp for me. The blade bends because you are over tightening the blade. Chances are, you are over tightening the blade because the blade slips out of the blade holder if you don't. Try cleaning the oil off of the ends of the blade, either with mineral spirits or sanding with sandpaper. Also, sand the ends of the thumb screws making sure you don't round them over.Hopefully, you won't have to tighten them to tight after that.
Dan In Southern California

tux_linux

« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2011, 04:56:43 am »
sand the ends of the thumb screws making sure you don't round them over.Hopefully, you won't have to tighten them to tight after that.

I don't have that DeWalt Saw, but I'll second that. Sanding the screw top flat can solve such problems. Also please check if there is a counter-screw on the other side of the blade holder. That one could use a little sanding too.

Please check if the blade is not angled after working on the blade holders - otherwise adjust your table.

geoff3

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2011, 05:38:53 pm »
Hi Termite,
I am having the same problem with my excalibur 21 bottom blade clamp,after cutting about 5 or 6 holes the end of my blade is like a hocky stick and will not go through the drilled hole,

I am stack cutting 3 x 3mm birch ply with a  2/0 spiral reverse.
Then I discovered against all  my previous wisdom, revers the blade and put it in the wrong way round and it still cuts for mybe another 5 or 6 holes before its no good. ... Geoff3

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2011, 06:10:04 pm »
What is a spiral reverse blade??
I'm from North Dakota

Offline Keefie

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2011, 06:53:19 pm »
Isn't that where the spiral goes the other way lol.  seriously though I think its a spiral blade with the lower teeth reversed like in a standard reverse tooth blade
It's all a case of "Mind over Matter",  The Government don't Mind, and I don't Matter.

rob roy

« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2011, 07:12:56 pm »
I think Geoff is saying he put a standard spiral blade in the machine upside down
Rob Roy

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2011, 10:08:32 pm »
my blades dont look like a hockey stick. it has two bends i dont know how to do this on a computer.
any electricians out there. it is a offset bend. it bends like a hockey stick & then back the other way
 today i took a stripped out blade holder, tapped it to a 10-32 screw, flattened one edge of a washer & welded it to a slotted 10-32 screw. tomorrow i will try it out. hope this fixes my problem.
thanks for all suggestions  termite

Offline kimb

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2011, 10:23:42 am »
FD makes spiral reverse blades, they work just like a flat reverse blade.

Kim

sailer5373

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2011, 11:24:03 am »
Hopefully when you put the thumb screws back in you put a little drop of oil on the end of those thumb screws and made sure they turn freely.  If they don't turn, they will contribute to the problem your having. That little tip of the thumb screws must turn freely in order that they allow the blade movement so it doesn't kink the blade causing the hockey stick effect.

geoff3

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2011, 06:15:08 pm »
Hi all ,
 What I was trying to point out is, The very first lesson we learn on the scroll saw is ....make sure the blade is the correct way up.....
 But when the end gets damaged and will not go through the drilled hole , with a reverse tooth spiral blade
you can still cut useing it the wrong way up and get a bit of extra life from it....Geoff3

Terry Jackson

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2011, 12:35:34 am »
A suggestion for any issue with bent or broken blades....
Put the blade in the holder and BARELY tighten.  Use the Allen wrench or whatever is required to firmly seat the set screw opposite the usual tightening screw.  Not hard, just firm.  If you have to do this often back out the opposite or slave screw and apply Blue LocTite and reinsert.  Us a larger blade if you have it, say a #5 or larger.

All the advice on getting the oil off the blade and sanding the screw tips flat still applies.  But you have to get the set screw positioned properly.  This should be a once a year or less operation on both upper and lower clamps.  And if you use the LocTite be sure you get the Blue.
Terry

SMF

Teknoromi