Author Topic: About me.  (Read 3107 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
About me.
« on: March 08, 2011, 04:20:41 pm »
Just a little background history of an old fart.
Back in the late 1960's after serving 4 years in the US Navy. I returned to my home state of AZ. In 1970 I joined the local police department, the part about my job I liked most was helping people out when I could, I had parents stop me on the street to thank me for setting their straying kids straight, on several occasions I stopped teenagers and found alcohol in their vehicles, rather than arrest them I would make them pour it out in the street and send them home. It was a small town so they couldn't hide from me. I never did it for the thanks. If a mother was being abused by her husband or leaving herself open to bad things I would caution them. Quite often I never heard from them but I did notice they had changed their situation. That was thanks enough. I left law enforcement after getting on the wrong side of a crooked Chief of Police, and had to leave AZ in order to find a job. Finally after a time I returned and was able to get my life back together, even worked as a security officer for a time, but finally ended up as a heavy equipment operator, which was a job I loved, something about the challenge of overcoming difficult situations, making that machine do what was necessary and getting the job done.
I have 3 daughters that have made me a grandfather to 5 girls and 2 boys. I'm proud of them all. I love a good joke and sharing them with friends whether it's here on this forum or with the other old geezers at the croaker club, senior center for those who don't know what I'm talking about. So now maybe you know what makes me tick somewhat. I'm limited to very little travel due to a health problem, but still enjoy interacting with people and if possible imparting some of my knowledge picked up in 68 years of life. There isn't much more I can do for my extended family
including those who are total strangers here in cyber space.
I think it was Mr Spock who said, "Live Long and Prosper".
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline yyyyyguy

• yyyyyguy
    • View Profile
Re: About me.
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2011, 04:37:14 pm »
Nice story, just the kind of guy I like to see in the SS workshop, willing to help,  with lots of life experience, have always enjoyed your posts

Pete
I love the smell of saw dust in the morning.

Offline cliveg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2011, 04:48:15 pm »
what a great story we had a policman here that did much the same cuffed my ear many times but had great respect from everyone i still see him noe hes retired great bloke and freind

Dawie

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2011, 05:13:05 pm »
Thanks for sharing Gabby. Nice to know what makes you tick.
David

CNLNC

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2011, 05:39:33 pm »
Hey Gabby, nice to meet you, thanks for sharing.
I know you didn't do it for the "thank you's", but... THANK YOU for your service both in the Navy and as an officer. Wishing you many days under the sun making sawdust ;D

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 07:04:47 pm »
Thank you all for the kind words.
Those who got their "ears cuffed" probably had it coming.
Sounds like it straightened you out!  ;D
Cops used to be male role models, more so than nowadays. I had the distinct privilege of working with some men I really looked up to. One Sargent who was nearing retirement age came across as very crusty and tough, but it was just a front, I discovered he had a heart of gold! he is just one example and I tried to follow his footsteps as best I could.
 I found myself in a dangerous predicament one night working with him, family fights are one of the most dangerous a policeman can get into. As it was a small town there was only 3 of us on duty, another patrolman and our Sargent, and they were already on calls. I responded to the call and found a man that had returned from Vietnam he was a Green Beenie, when he returned he found his wife with another man. When I got there he was in a killing rage, and could have cleaned my clock no problem! Fortunately I was pretty gabby even back then and knew what to say by instinct I guess, I sure didn't want a fight with 2 upset people thats a good way to end up hurt or worse. I was able to reason with both of them and talked them into my patrol car and took them to the station, where my Sgt finally joined us. Thankfully I was able to release them both after they had made up and settled down, the husband was even crying before it was all over.
Just another night keeping the peace.
Gabby
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 03:28:03 am by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2011, 07:16:12 am »
Thanks for sharing the story Gabby.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2011, 05:15:09 am »
thanks for sharing Gabby!
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2011, 10:54:57 am »
Gabby, you have had a full and it seems by your story a rather satisfying life to this point.
I add my thanks to those before me for your "services".

We would likely have more 'officers' of your type today if they did not live with the constant fear that every time they go on a call they are going to 'take one' and not return!

Now you have embarked on a hobby that will hopefully lead to the same kind of 'satisfaction' while 'Makin' Sawdust'!

'Gabby' or not it is a pleasure to have you around! I wish we were closer, geographically! We could very likely spend many hours "swappin' yarns" !

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2011, 05:59:50 pm »
OMG, can you imagine having GB and Gabby in the same room. You couldn't get a word in edgewise. LMAO  ::)  ::)  ::)

Sorry guys, forgive me but I couldn't resist.  :)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 06:03:16 pm by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2011, 07:59:51 pm »
That is why sometimes people have to use 'sharp' words!

They have to get them 'edgewise'!...

Not a problem as long as you can take a 'jab' on the 'flip side'!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2011, 05:19:35 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hey GB lets start our own thread and lock Russ out. The Whipersnapper!'
LOL
Just kidding, I bet if he was to un-bend he'd have some windy stories too!
I guess my main problem is my kids are strewn all around and I never get to see them, and without being able to travel much, I don't get to socialize much, and I enjoy getting people all stirred up just for fun. My wife has all her activities to keep her sanity with, and I've got everyone here and a few at the croaker club. That's about it. So you are stuck with my ramblings.
The part about my past is true, the bad parts left out to protect the innocent as Sgt Joe Friday used to say on Dragnet.
Gabby
« Last Edit: March 13, 2011, 05:50:42 pm by Gabby »
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

Harleyrider2

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2011, 07:07:10 am »
Nice to meet you Gabby, Thanks for your service! Also, thanks for the story, it is nice to get to know the people behind the little pictures. So as one of my biker buddies says "Keep the shiny side up!"    ~Richard

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2011, 06:41:32 pm »
A while back I sent a private post to one of the ladies here in the forum, cautioning her about putting her personal information on sites like this. I never received a confirmation of receiving my message. I think she might have thought I was a stalker or some such. Farthest thing from my mind. As I have stated before my background makes me more security conscious than most.
What I'm afraid of is I may have scared her completely away from a great group of folks here in this forum. I hope this isn't the case, as she will be missing a lot of good information and fellowship. I will also state to others here in the forum, posting your e-mail and other personal information beyond a first name leaves you open to spammers. Someone here in the administration please chime in to corroborate or add to my information. Not everyone on line is knowledgeable of the risks!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!

marmoh

« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2011, 09:25:30 pm »
Shame on you Gabby ...
she was probably just un edumekated on the puter and hit the wrong button  :o :o

SMF

Teknoromi