Author Topic: Totally New Scroller Needs Pointers  (Read 1719 times)

Offline tommyb43

• View Profile
Totally New Scroller Needs Pointers
« on: January 20, 2015, 02:31:09 pm »
Hi Steve (& Knowledgeable ones) I have just started scrolling and am asking for a few pointers.
I am in the UK and have a Clarke CSS400C 16? Variable Speed Scroll Saw Cheap enough to start with i think
a few little mods to make it work a little better Motor dust baffle Blade clamps and alike.
my question is while cutting my second piece i am getting a lot of wavy cuts ?
I have been using spiral and reverse cut blades to get the feel of each type of cut
the material is 9mm Russian birch plywood. (Loads of offcuts in the scrap bins at work)
Can you tell me where i am starting to go wrong here.

Regards Tom

Offline Brian Pardue

• View Profile
Re: Totally New Scroller Needs Pointers
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 02:57:30 pm »
Blade tension may be too loose or you may be forcing the wood through the blade and not letting the blade do the work. When I started just over a year ago I was having the same issues. I slowed down and made sure I had tensioned the blade properly and the problem went away. I also notice it when the blades start getting dull.

agooday88

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2015, 10:47:06 pm »
I agree! I find that when I take my time and have sharp blades and tighten the blade, I cut a lot better.
 I tend to be in a hurry to finish a project and start another one. I have learned to NOT PUSH the work and take my time. Enjoy it.

Sometimes it isn't the blade or the wood... it is the operator. :)   
 I learned that the hard way.  Good luck... and Have Fun  with it.

Offline WynnD

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 07:49:20 am »
relax your hands and let the saw do its work. I'll bet you are forcing the wood into the direction you want it to go and that pushes the blade in weird directions. In particular the spiral blades will do that 'cause they cut in all directions.

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 08:43:46 am »
Sounds as though you have gotten good advice.  A common mistake by new scrollers is not pushing the wood directly into the blade, especially when making turns without trying to force the cut faster than the saw wants to work.

Offline tommyb43

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 04:31:31 pm »
Thanks folks for the pointers  :) I can see where you are coming from Spiral blades are unforgiving i found myself stopping to let the blade catch up therefore going to fast Pushing I find that reverse cut blades are easier to use but turning i find i tend to go wide, next time according to YouTube stop back a few mm sharp turn and carry on is this correct ? some lesson cuts from another site i found have practice zigzag, circle and star patterns which is first job this weekend i will see how this goes and will post back.
Ref the blade tension I have used the sound file on Steve's homepage and thought i was close to the mark ! maybe a little extra would do no harm or have my hearing checked  :o.

Very much appreciated Thank you all for your input (Keep em coming) Regards Tom

Every Day Is Practice For the Next Day Never be afraid to ask  ;D

agooday88

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 06:52:30 pm »
Everyone has started as a Newbie some time or another. I remember when I got my saw and everyone told me that there was no way that I could use it. I was determined to learn and so I just went slow and learned the straights then the curves and then the sharp corners. It was a long road but I master them all.  ;D I learn more each day. Good luck and be patient. It will all be easier the more you do.

SMF

Teknoromi