Author Topic: Scam  (Read 3169 times)

Offline towdude3

• View Profile
Scam
« on: March 21, 2014, 11:02:38 pm »
I got a call from someone claiming to be from Microtek, they said they were associated with Microsoft. He tried to get personal info from me about my computer. Told me to log on and he would walk me through the steps to fix it. He said my computer sent error messages to Microsoft and they asked him to call. He wanted me to log on to
showmypc.com which would give him remote access to fix my system. THIS IS A SCAM. If you do this they will request 400.00 to fix it or they will wipe it out. I'm far from a computer wizard but this sounded like a scam to me right off. Don't fall for this scam. If they call, hang up. I did not fall for this, but if I had, I would have lost alot.
Be Aware. Mike

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
Re: Scam
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 12:29:36 am »
Both my wife and I have each received call like this over the past few months.  You're right that it is a scam, so don't let them into your computer.  Good call Mike!
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 03:23:18 am »
your right, don't give any information and don't cooperate.
just tell him your machine need a a software update and ask him to log on.....

machine:  Hegner or De Walt....
operating system: Sr. Scroller  2.0
installed add on's:  FD blades, foot switch, light
installed driver: you sitting in the chair ;)

keeps him occupied for a while... LOL
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 12:05:24 pm »
Or you could choose to have a little fun with them.   Ask how to log on with a Commodore 16? Dial up speed 300.  Just carry it on using techno -talk as long as you can.  When I was working I use to get call wanting to sell toner, printer ribbonss ect.  When the tle me that had ribbons, I would request a black ribbon for an Underwood Model 12. Told them I had a hard time finding them. Once the salesman transferred me to his supervisor  and he asked the model I told him and he shouted  Thats a damn typewriter and slammed the phone down.  BUT   they didnt call back!!!!
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

Offline crupiea

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 12:15:36 pm »
I get calls from number  I dont recognize all the time.  Thats why i have caller id.  I just dont answer it.  Its not a requirement to answer the phone when it rings.

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 05:31:49 pm »
I sometimes answer when I KNOW it it a telemarketer just to mess with them. For instance when they ask "How are you today" I say "Well my hip has been bothering me and my back is sore and I have this terrible cough, I'm out of the blue pills and my daughter won't answer her phone and my best friend died. How are you?"
After that, they don't know what to say so I just say "Thanks for calling and asking about me." Then I hang up.

Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Billy in Va

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 06:52:58 pm »
Good one Rog!

Offline Billy in Va

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 06:57:11 pm »
Back in the days when everything was still on dial-up we had two lines and one was dedicated for the computer. We kept a phone hooked up to it but never gave out the number. Whenever it would ring I would answer with something like  Golden Gate Bridge Toll Plaza   * we were in VA.  Thise were also the days when long distance calls were not really cheap! 

Rover2

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 09:06:55 pm »
Don't get calls from them often but when I do, I like messing with them and usually end telling the to go to where the fire burns very hot. >:( >:( >:( >:(

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 02:22:16 am »
I get lots of these call, I just tell them that I don't have a computer and hang up.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

Offline mickey357

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 11:14:06 am »
Just do what my son does. He tells them he'll answer their question , but 1st they have to answer one of his . " What kind of underwear are you wearing ?" That stops them.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2014, 05:16:51 am »
Just say wait a minute please I have to stir the stew or change the baby or I have another call on the other line, I'll be right back.
Lay the phone down and go do something useful, like sipping some good Scotch for a while,
When you get back say hello, but don't expect to find anyone there, but if you do say no thanks and hang up, they won't call you again!
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

rob roy

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 10:56:35 am »
When I get these jokers wanting to fix faults in Windows, I tell them, sorry, I don't have any windows, I live in a CAVE. Works a treat. :D :D :D :D
Rob Roy.

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 12:08:04 pm »
When I get these jokers wanting to fix faults in Windows, I tell them, sorry, I don't have any windows, I live in a CAVE. Works a treat. :D :D :D :D
Rob Roy.

we already knew that Rob,
I thought all Scottish did.... ::)

did see that documentary called "Brave hearth".

lot of old houses and indeed no windows...

;D ;D ;D

Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

rob roy

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 01:47:20 pm »
OK Marcell, I told a little white lie, I do live in a cave, and it DOES have windows, but the jokers don't know that. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.
Rob Roy.
PS Take Braveheart with a BIG spoonful of SALT. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(.

SMF

Teknoromi