Author Topic: Stools or chairs for SS  (Read 3781 times)

rochar3

Stools or chairs for SS
« on: March 08, 2014, 11:09:10 am »
Hey Everybody,

The older I get, the more uncomfortable I get when I Scroll. I Have a Hawk G4 and a stool roughly the height of a bar stool to sit on when I work. Seem to be getting more and more pain when I scroll. Tell me what position you take when Scrolling. Standing, sitting etc. What kind of chairs do you use. Gotta go and take some more Aleve.
Thanks for your help!!!

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: Stools or chairs for SS
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2014, 11:13:37 am »
I sit but have a tall office chair that varies in height, works pretty good for me, I also of get tired will stand to change positions. I can go out later and measure my chair and stand to get a better idea.

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2014, 11:26:42 am »
Good morning. I had a motorcycle accident when I was 17. When I was going through rehab the physio told me that if I was going to be standing for any length of time I should stand with one leg bent. That is, get a low step stool about four to six inches high and sit or stand with one foot up. I use a bar stool also and except for numb bum I don't have any probs. Cheers, Barry.

Offline pieter

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2014, 11:39:33 am »
Like the rest of you standing for a long time is hard on the back and siting on a make shift stool was not really working either.  So I splurged and bought a very comfortable adjustable height office chair.  Now my back lasts a lot longer and my legs don't cramp, and I can sit at the scroll saw as well as the adjustable height work table and feel in control of the work.

Pieter

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2014, 11:42:52 am »
Barry I think you are spot on, never thought of it till now but yes, I use an adjustable hieght bar stool but always end up by having on leg elevated on the stools own footrest and the other touching the floor, that way I can seem to work for hours without any problems
Dave

Offline jerry1939

• Iowa - 2 seasons. Winter & road construction.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2014, 12:15:42 pm »
I built my own saw stand out of 1 X 4s.  3 legs.  2 in back that extend up and have a tilted "tray" across the top.  Mounted an electric heater that points down toward the saw table/hands and also mounted blade holders there.  Straddle the third, front leg.  All legs have wheels.  I sit & pull the saw towards me.  Only drill 6 - 10 holes at a time.  This forces me to get up more often and go stand be the drill press.  Take occasional "breaks", to go into the house and have coffee with my beautiful wife of almost 52 years.  Another thing I do occasionally is calisthenics.

jerry

Offline EIEIO

• Be Prepared.
    • View Profile
    • RMHayes, LLC
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2014, 02:31:01 pm »
I found a nice padded stool (Walmart I think it was) that is comfortable and seems to be about the right elevation. I imagine the trick is getting the stool height to match the saw height. An adjustable office or lab chair, without arms, should let you adjust to match the saw. I'd love to have a table heater - that frozen edge kills my wrists when it's cold out there.
EX-21 arrived 2-1-2013!
Porter-Cable PCB370SS in the corner
Lancaster Ohio
Ray Hayes - RMHayes@RMHayes.US
www.RMHayes.US

thumbs

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2014, 07:18:00 pm »
I use a director's chair-- the fold up with cloth back and seat--I had to built a short stand for my EX-21. I have my foot switch  right next to it--works great for me because my legs go to sleep if I dangle them--as Danny would say " just my 2 cents worth"--Richard ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 08:56:46 am »
I use an adjustable stool with a back purchased from Sears. I had to cut 4" off the legs because it was too tall even at lowest level but now it works great because it will swivel when I need to reach for a new blade and I can lean back and take a break.

Tony,aka,Toneman

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 09:17:12 am »
I use and old office chair and have built a stand for one of the saws to the height I like using this chair.  I have a second saw on the original standard Hegner stand that I use a little while standing.  When I sit at this higher saw the table is just below my chin height.  This keeps my back straight and my eyes close to the blade.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline tvman44

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 09:32:18 am »
I have a adjustable height stool on wheels that looks like a motorcycle seat, got it from Grizzly awhile back.  Love it. :)
Bob Making sawdust in SW Louisiana with a
EX-21

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 09:45:43 am »
I have an adjustable craftman stool with a back, and works great with my dewalt saw, I only stand when I have a large piecr to cut, but mostly I sit for  99% of the time. I only cut about 10 minutes at a time and  walk around some, then back to cutting.  edward

Offline newfie

• The Way I Scroll
    • View Profile
    • some of my woodworking
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 11:53:25 am »
i mostly sit as well.i use one of these shop stools.

excalibur 21
Every woodworker needs a fireplace

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 09:41:46 pm »
I use a commercial grade office chair with carpet casters, so I can sit with my feet on the floor and move around with ease.  A home built stand  at the  correct height for my Ex, allows me to cut with comfort.
MOONIE

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 10:55:14 pm »
I use a standard dining table chair.  No wheels. I built my stand to accomodate this height.  It is comfortable for me.  I also use  ( unlike most)  a on - off foot pedal. That way I can start the saw and cut for a long periods and am able to move my let to different positions for comfort. I find it uncomfortabe to have to keep  pressure on the pedal to keep the saw running.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

SMF

Teknoromi