Author Topic: If my Hegner motor spins, does that mean it’s OK?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline MR1001NIGHTS

• View Profile
If my Hegner motor spins, does that mean it’s OK?
« on: May 05, 2020, 11:54:44 pm »
My Old 1980s German Hegner polymax is not working. The motor spins just fine, but when I attach the belt, it makes a humming sound and doesn’t work. Someone had mentioned that it could be the capacitor. But if the capacitor didn’t work, why would the motor be spinning OK?

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
Re: If my Hegner motor spins, does that mean it’s OK?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2020, 11:19:38 am »
hi the start capacitor is shot
they need to be fully charged to be able to give that initial kick of power when under load (with the belt attached)
the chances are that if you could give the pulleys a spin by hand whilst the motor is humming it would start and run until next switch off
be very careful if you try this its a bit nasty if you get those pinkies in the belt
so new capacitor first if that fails then it could be the windings burnt out but that is rare
Dave

Offline MR1001NIGHTS

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2020, 02:57:59 am »
Thank you very much for the reply. Do you think that if I take the motor assembly to an electrical repair shop of some sort they could put in a new capacitor? How do people usually install new capacitors on their Hegner scroll saws? The whole thing is attached, not as easy as changing a battery

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2020, 11:20:49 am »
HI
sure they could but would advise getting the capacitor from hegner first rather than risk using a similar item

SMF

Teknoromi