Author Topic: Beating MDF Dust  (Read 868 times)

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
Beating MDF Dust
« on: July 07, 2014, 12:12:50 pm »
Now
Some may have seen this, some may use it and others might like it.
For a long time now I have been constantly battling with mdf dust in the vac filters, for ever stopping to clean them (I cut a lot of MDF). I introduced a so called interceptor, although the one I added was designed as an attachment for cleaning fire grates, but thought well the is really fine dust in the grates so it may work, IT DIDN'T, so I went in search of the answer and eventually found it.
as can be seen on pic1 it is a small 5 gallon bucket with two inlet/outlets
pic 2 shows the internal pipe work, the long pipe is as supplied and extends down to around three inches from the bottom of the bucket, the only addition is a standard waste elbow bonded to the other pipe, once this is done and as pic 3 shows fill the bucket with around one inch of water, put the lid on connect everything up and start cutting ( of course ensuring you have first cleaned the vac filter) I cut for around an hour and then removed the lid and as can be seen from pic 4 all the fine dust is congealed in the water and the filters are as clean as when I started, job sorted, oh the reason for the elbow is simply to act as a baffle to stop any splashing water getting into the vac.
As said some may not like the idea but for me it's a God send

Dave

pddesertrat

Re: Beating MDF Dust
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 01:15:00 pm »
That's a good fix.  I did something similar on my vac.  I replaced the original filter with a washable Hepa filter inside the vac and added a Dust Deputy on a five gallon bucket on the out side.  I do a little MDF as possible be with just wood dust I had to empty and clean my old filter almost 3 or 4 times a week  Now I have to clean the inside filter maybe every three or four months.  Well worth the effort to add something like you did.

SMF

Teknoromi