Author Topic: Scroll Saw Table  (Read 2786 times)

Offline mjones64262

• View Profile
Scroll Saw Table
« on: June 28, 2016, 12:18:39 am »
I am new to this hobby and have just purchased a Porter Cable 18" scroll saw. The surface of the table is not very smooth and is made from aluminum. I was wondering if it would hurt the saw if I tried sanding the table smooth. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: Scroll Saw Table
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 12:50:58 am »
Greetings!
I think before sanding a new table, I would try waxing it,
Any car wax or furniture polish should help.
If that isn't sufficient enough, then you could try sanding it
but, I would definitely use a very FINE grit and would not
over do it.
I'm not an expert on this subject but, that's my thoughts for you to ponder.
God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline Jim-78028

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 05:48:36 am »
Another area to look at is the hockey puck in the center.  Unless they changed manufacturing specs it is not flush with the table top.

It needs to be flush to provide support for what you are cutting or the vibration caused by the blade moving up and down will cause the area to split/break.

Some make a new hockey puck, some glue playing cards over it to make the surface even.

Offline Silver Sliver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 10:43:46 am »
I agree with the suggestion to wax the surface.  I too had a Porter Cable saw.  The first thing I did was wax the table.  However, be very wary of wax that has silicone in it.  Silicone can and will transfer to your wood and make it very difficult to stain evenly.  I found that Johnson's floor wax works very well.  You can find it at Walmart, Home Deopot and Lowes among other stores.  Just my penny's worth.

Offline busco

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 05:01:45 pm »
In a pinch I have commandeered the wax paper out of my wife's kitchen.  It seems to work well and is quick and easy.  I have also used it on my drill press and table saw.
 Bill

Offline mjones64262

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 05:37:16 pm »
Thanks everyone for your help. I have already put 2 coats of Johnsons paste wax on it. I think I will try some very fine sandpaper on the back of the table to see if it does any good. Hope everyone has a fantastic 4th of July.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2016, 11:22:46 pm »
I had a problem with the table on my ex the gray coating transfering off. I got some formica conter top since its very thin used double sided carpet tape to hold it down. With it waxed its pretty slick and wood slides easy almost too easy. Lol.

SMF

Teknoromi