Author Topic: Does anyone else...  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Coffeepot

• Something good is brewing
    • View Profile
Does anyone else...
« on: January 25, 2020, 02:24:29 pm »
...have a box or section of their workshop where they store all the "shoulda beens"?

When you cut and almost complete a nice piece and then a part breaks, or you drill a hole through it trying to put on a hanger, or find some blemish you didn't notice earlier, or it warped, or something that makes it not really fine enough to put in a sale or give as a gift, what do you do with it?

Do you mend it before you go on to your next project or does it go into storage or fireplace?

It's so hard for me to just toss a fine piece of nice wood I spent some time, money and sanding on.  So I put it aside in a pile thinking I will return and mend it another day.  Unfortunately, that pile is getting bigger! 
Scrolling has its perks

Offline KCSteve

• View Profile
Re: Does anyone else...
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2020, 02:28:06 pm »
I have a storage tub piled with all of the leftovers from my work.  You never know when you might be able to fit a small piece into the leftovers from some other project.

In the same way, your pile of 'almost' pieces are known pieces of wood that looked good enough for a project.  Even if that piece of wood didn't wind up in the original project, parts of it could wind up in future ones.

No sense wasting good wood.

Offline Berta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2020, 05:27:08 pm »
I found I was saving so much ‘not quite good projects’ that I was running out of space. Designer firewood is what is going on now. I need the space.

Offline Coffeepot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2020, 09:07:44 am »
Yes, space is definitely an issue.  Unfortunately, the more you have the more you need... ;D
Scrolling has its perks

Offline Silver Sliver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2020, 10:26:41 am »
Years ago, a local pre-school/kindergarden teacher asked me about scraps that were destined to be throw away, if could have them for here students to glue together.  I made sure there were no obvious slivers and gave her all that I had.  The kids loved to create things with the scraps and glue.  Talk about recycling what I recycled.  A win-win for all.

Offline Coffeepot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2020, 09:40:40 am »
What a good idea!  Thanks.
Scrolling has its perks

Offline Berta

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2020, 04:37:55 pm »
Years ago, a local pre-school/kindergarden teacher asked me about scraps that were destined to be throw away, if could have them for here students to glue together.  I made sure there were no obvious slivers and gave her all that I had.  The kids loved to create things with the scraps and glue.  Talk about recycling what I recycled.  A win-win for all.

That IS a good idea!

SMF

Teknoromi