Author Topic: Hawk Saw Owners-Help!  (Read 2259 times)

Offline Coffeepot

• Something good is brewing
    • View Profile
Hawk Saw Owners-Help!
« on: August 15, 2018, 07:00:38 pm »
I don't know if this would apply to other brands of scroll saws, but I'm having a terrible time keeping blades from coming loose from the top clamp when I saw.  Just went through about 10 blades just trying to cut one piece due to bending or breaking.   >:(

I have a 220 vs model which I've had for 15 years, and it just seems like lately, I can't keep the blade in the top clamp from coming loose.   I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but can't quite figure out what.  It seems like about 1 out of 10 tries it stays put and cuts fine, but otherwise, I'm reinserting the blade again.  And again (my fingers are getting sore).  Sigh. 

If anyone else has had this issue and has suggestions for a solution, feel free to pass them on-thanks.   
Scrolling has its perks

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
Re: Hawk Saw Owners-Help!
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 06:33:24 pm »
Sounds like your screws holding the blades may be worn

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2018, 08:11:37 am »
On my old Dremal I had to use sand paper on the blade hold screws to rough up this helped. I also cut knobs to fit over the blade holder screws to tighten  them a little tighter. Steve has a pattern to make these.

Offline Coffeepot

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2018, 10:17:45 am »
Thanks, Gentlemen. 

Have done both suggestions previously.  Something must be worn out, or I am totally missing something.  I seem to be inconsistent with getting the blade gripped in the exact right place, as every now and then I will have a successful hold and be able to saw.  I will check with Hawk and see if a new holding screw is in order. 
Scrolling has its perks

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2018, 08:04:27 pm »
Coffeepot, I also have a Hawk, and was having the same problem, replaced the blade holding screw and it fixed me right up. I also replaced my lower blade holder with their upgraded unit, made me a happy camper.
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline Coffeepot

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2018, 10:34:16 pm »
Good to know, eburk.  Thank you.  I will call Hawk on Monday.  Much appreciated.
Scrolling has its perks

Offline Dennis123

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 08:44:37 am »
I had a similar problem with my Hawk and found that by removing the holding screw and roughing up the end on some fine sandpaper the problem disappeared. five or, 6 strokes did the job.  Just be sure to keep the screw straight up so that the end is still square.

Offline Coffeepot

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 10:23:53 am »
Thanks, Dennis.  I did that earlier on-I think I've sanded everything by now, though maybe not enough.  I have a new part on the way, we'll see if that helps. 
Scrolling has its perks

Offline Octoolguy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2018, 03:01:39 pm »
Have you also tried "roughing" up the blade ends? They do come with oil on them so a good cleaning might help too.

Ray
Dewalt 788 Type 1, Hegner Multimax 18E, Excalibur Ex-21

SMF

Teknoromi