Author Topic: Making patterns  (Read 1308 times)

Offline Grandpaw B

• View Profile
Making patterns
« on: March 31, 2011, 10:15:43 am »
Steve,

I love the military plaques that you have created. Could you show me/us how you created them? I can't figure out how you get the letters to follow tight aroung an arch/circle. ???

Thanks
Grandpaw B
Toledo, Ohio

wardch

Re: Making patterns
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2011, 11:47:57 am »
Grandpaw,  If you use Corel Draw, you first draw a circle with the ellipse tool.  Then select the circle and click on text.  Select "Fit Text to path".  That is basically how to do it.  Haven't played with Gimp or Inkscape so not sure on these programs.

Chris 

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 12:19:04 pm »
you can also make text in circles if you use the word art function of programs like open office or microsoft word.

wardch

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2011, 02:24:02 pm »
Oh yeah,  Say hi to Corporal Klinger for me.   :D
Wasn't he from Toledo?

Offline Grandpaw B

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2011, 05:54:00 pm »
I have GIMP, Paintshop and MS Word. Still can't get letters to follow around a circle. Maybe I need a six year old to show me how. LOL. Anyone got a step by step with Wordart or GIMP?

Mainewoods

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 09:40:45 pm »
Don't have a step by step, but the basics in GIMP are: create a circle with the circle selection tool.  Under the paths tool select "path from selection".  Go to Text tool, type text, at the bottom select "text to path".  Will require some tweaking on your part, but this'll get ya started.  Not an expert with this stuff, just fiddled with it for a few and figured out how to get text to follow a circle.  Hope this helps.  ;D

SMF

Teknoromi