Author Topic: Any one know  (Read 5851 times)

Kragax

Any one know
« on: August 30, 2014, 07:15:16 pm »
About a saw called :  Penn State Industries 15" Scroll Saw, variable speed. Model SS-V15 Manufactured in 1991

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
Re: Any one know
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2014, 10:06:00 am »
I'm not familiar with that saw but if anyone would know, it would be Rick at Rick's Scrollsaw.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2014, 04:52:45 am »
  it may be hard to get parts for this saw. check with ereplacementparts & see if they stock them.
  i dont know anyhing about the operation of this saw.

pddesertrat

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2014, 09:39:24 am »
Personally I would be leery of it.  It is not a common brand and it doesn't look like they sell them anymore.  Parts may be difficult to obtain, there is no service support for it.  Just my opinion.

Kragax

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2014, 08:31:35 am »
Thanks, I Passed. I am looking at a Hawk 220 for 250.00. Trying to figure out if it's better than my Ryobi.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2014, 10:08:46 am »
Comparing a Hawk to a Ryobi is like comparing a hamburger to a ribeye steak dinner.  They both get the job done, but one is so much more enjoyable than the other.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Kragax

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2014, 01:00:45 pm »
Really? It's that much better? How does the Hawk compare to the "Big Yellow" Dewalt?

Offline Crabbyboater

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2014, 01:12:08 pm »
I originally had "big yellow", but sold it when I acquired a Hawk 220.  I know there are a number of folks who love the yellow, and it is a good machine, but I felt the Hawk was better, and I've never regretted it.  It's certainly better than the Ryobi.
Your web footed friend in Seattle, WA.

Kragax

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 01:23:38 pm »
This is a 20 yr old saw that has hardly been used. The drawback is it's a two speed rather than a variable speed.

pddesertrat

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2014, 02:37:49 pm »
Hawks are a high end scroll saw.  I don't know how much of a downside the 2 speed is.  I don't change my speed often but I do enough that I'm glad to have it.  (I don't have a Hawk).  To me it would be a tough decision between an older two speed Hawk and an new DeWalt.  I wonder if the older one can be converted to variable speed..  Probably would be expensive have to replace motor and electronics.  In my neck of the woods I have seen several newer Hawks for sale on Craigslist, variable speed 26" for less than the price of a new DeWalt.  That would not be a hard choice for me them.  Course you don't see that when you are in the market....

Kragax

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2014, 09:01:58 pm »
Well, I bought the Hawk !. Haven't worked out the pick up yet, it's about 100 miles away. Oh, by the way I got it for 225.

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 07:47:53 am »
Kragax, The Ryobi is an OK entry level saw.  I used to do demos on them for the Home Depot.  You will be amazed at the difference in the Hawk.  Hawk is a high end saw and, even used, will be far superior to your Ryobi.  I started on a Dremel and could not believe the difference when I got my Excalibur.  Happy cutting!

Kragax

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2014, 08:29:12 am »
Thanks all, I'm going to get it Sat. morning. I'll post pics, although I imagine you've all see one before. LOL

pddesertrat

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2014, 10:05:30 am »
Congratulations on your purchase.  I'm thinking you will be pleased. 

Offline puzzleguy

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2014, 09:39:03 pm »
About a saw called :  Penn State Industries 15" Scroll Saw, variable speed. Model SS-V15 Manufactured in 1991

Yes I have one - bought it on a close out some where around early 1990's ( think a wood show )
I replaced the speed control on mine along time ago - think I cracked it or something like that ( cheaply made electronics )
impossible to get parts for now a days - I remember that this particular machine is the same as the old Delta Chinese 15 inch and the
Harbor Freight 15 Chinese model -- basically its a Hegner rip off . don't think the saw is made any more by anyone . My machine has the
arms of an old Delta ( think I broke the old bolt in the shaft that goes threw the upper arm ) Mine is called " the Frankenstien monster "
because its made up of the two saws - it still works -personally I wouldn't mind another - to my recollection its the only model of that type of saw ( 15 inch Hegner clone basically ) with a variable speed control for around 125 bucks new-- mine cuts great by the way -
I would love it if I could buy another one - but it would have to be in very good condition --
I am a bit of a Scrollsaw nut -I own over 50 saws ( including many treadle saws )

« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 09:46:21 pm by puzzleguy »

SMF

Teknoromi