Author Topic: Beginner tip - Wax your scroll saw table  (Read 9729 times)

keidiag

Beginner tip - Wax your scroll saw table
« on: April 25, 2010, 04:28:41 pm »
Experienced scrollers know about this but it may be news for beginners.

I just started a new project and found that I had to push my work into a NEW blade so I decided it was time for a wax job on Old Yeller.

Almost any kind of wax (not liquid floor wax) will do. I use Minwax Paste Wax since I always have some on hand. Be careful not to use too much, about the size of a pea is all you need. Apply the wax with a cloth, let it dry then buff it with another cloth. You'll be surprised at the improvement...no more pushing.

When I brought my Dewalt 788 home the first thing I did was sand the table top with my random orbit sander. I used about 4 discs of 400 grit until I was satisfied that it was smooth then applied a coat of wax.

Happy scrolling...Keith  
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 06:50:58 pm by keidiag »

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
Re: Beginner tip - Wax your scroll saw table
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 04:32:44 pm »
Great tip, but be sure you do not use a silicone based wax as it can cause staining on your workpieces.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

BillBo

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 06:02:29 pm »
I use paste bowling alley wax,Home Depot may have it

EZgoing

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010, 05:57:05 am »
I use a product called Slip-It in the GREEN can (non-silicone - blue cans contain silicone) on all my cast iron tables and pretty much on anything that can rust or needs a slippery surface.. 

Stops the formation of rust, protects the surface and makes it nice and slippery..

Have been using it for 2 years now.. and have had zero problems with it affecting any finish products so far. It's indirect food contact approved too.  I put some on a hamster's exercise wheel a few months ago, and not a squeak to be heard since.

Grizzly has it in the paste form quart sized can for $10... and just a little dab will go a long way.

http://grizzly.com/products/Slip-It-Sil-Free-Sliding-Compound-Gel-1-qt-/G5562

There is also a liquid spray bottle form available.. works great on overhead door tracks and hinges or anywhere else it's hard to get the paste form into or on. 

Be sure to stir the paste form when you first get it... as a harder 'crust' will form on top during long term storage.

For what it's worth anyway...  this is what I use.

Ez

wdkits1

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010, 07:58:31 am »
What do I use to slicken up  and prevent rust on my  scrollsaw table,planer bed, jointer bed, router table, bandsaw table and blades, wood to wood contact on jigs, squeaky door hinges, lube for installing screws into hardwoods and cooking on the grill----PAM original cooking spray. Works for me

thumbs

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 09:22:47 am »
 :o I use the old fashion Johnson's paste wax in the yellow can--works on any surface--keeps all my saws slick and easy to clean--jmho--Richard aka thumbs

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 07:51:10 pm »
wdkits, I like your idea of using Pam, I never would have thought of that. Pam was also used by some NFL players, they sprayed it on their jerseys, so they would slip through the opposing players fingers lol. thanks for the tip.

northie66

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 08:01:06 pm »
What?!  You need to wax the scroll saw table?!   :o  This is news to me.  Now I'll have to decide which wax to buy... and whether I should sand the table first.  Oh jeez.   ??? ??? ???

northie66

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 08:25:33 pm »
If you use Pam, doesn't all the sawdust stick to the table?

wdkits1

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 10:11:38 pm »
Janet--Just spray a little on and wipe off. Makes the table very slick , has no smell and leaves no residue. I started using Pam mostly for a blade lube for my bandsaw during resawing but now use it for all of my tools to prevent rust and to keep everything sliding easily. Cheap too.

northie66

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 06:34:35 am »
OK... that's what I'm going to do then because I always have Pam around.  So, I won't need to make another purchase.  One needs to be frugile in this economy.   :P

thumbs

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 08:22:42 am »
I guess I'll have to borrow some from the mrs and give it a try.. might teach an old dog a new trick--Richard aka thumbs

SMF

Teknoromi