Author Topic: Your own website  (Read 3258 times)

northie66

Your own website
« on: April 25, 2010, 01:55:56 pm »
For those that have their own website, did you use godaddy to buy it?  And did you purchase the hosting from the same site that you bought it from?  Thanks!

cherie

Re: Your own website
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 04:05:48 pm »
Ours is through www.freewebs.com  It does give you the option to buy and add extra features.  We are just in a bind and cannot do that at the moment, but it does put us online.

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 04:31:24 pm »
No I purchased my domain several year ago from Idotz.net.  I am hosted through a different host altogether.

I'm using hostgator via a re-seller.  Traditionalhost
« Last Edit: April 25, 2010, 08:18:36 pm by dunk »
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 04:39:10 pm »
Hi Janet, I use ipower.com. Their service is good but not perfect. They offer a great set of features with every option you can imagine. I have some down time but it's not excessive. I pay $100 a year for the hosting and $10 for the domain. Unlimited storage and bandwidth. Great statistics. I use the hosting to serve all my patterns. I also have the forum and gallery there. The blog is still hosted with google however.

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 05:39:03 pm »
I use Hostgator, they seem to do a good job. I haven't had any problems. And you can get your domain there

Firedkm

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 06:30:36 pm »
I use Fatcow and only had one problem in the three years that I have used them. I also got my domain name from them too.

juvy

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2010, 02:46:05 am »
We used geocities for 14 years.... it was great... but last year they started charging.. that was the end of that.
At the moment we just have a short page on google... better then nothing but far from ideal.

We're still looking for a new free one.

Juvy

Joesawdust

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2010, 01:45:06 pm »
Janet I use Homestead technology for both of mine, it runs $7.99 per month, including the domain name, and the software they provide is real simple to learn, mostly drag and drop. I tried godaddy and was not happy at all. I've used Homestead for about 1 1/2 years now. Check my sites out- www.joesawdust.com and www.smilingbuddhaofstatesboro.com

Greg

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2010, 03:18:12 pm »
 I got my website from Go daddy, also the domain name. I understand now they run specials, and had no problem with them. check out my website http://edsscrollwork.com

Joesawdust

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 05:09:46 pm »
Great looking site Ed

Greg

northie66

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 07:59:25 pm »
Do you all get much traffic and/or sales to your site?  I'm not sure if I want to do it or not.  I'd hate to turn a hobby into a headache.  And I do enjoy giving away stuff.

But on the otherhand, this past weekend I sold stuff at a flea market... mostly housewares and stuff like that... but I actually sold a necklace I made with the scroll saw.  It felt good to have someone buy something I made.

I just can't decide.

jowshu98

« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 08:21:16 pm »
I'm starting to get traffic but have yet to make any sales. I got the starter e-shop through 1&1 and so far it's ok just need to drive more traffic.

Don

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 08:56:14 pm »
Mine is unrelated to scrolling and I have had a site for several years. Within the last year I switched to  'InMotion Hosting' and my son's S.O. redesigned the site.
InMotion is full featured and not expensive if you do your own design work. Very helpful and thorough.
www.edswhitefront.com

GrayBeard
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 10:00:35 pm »
I generally have to close down orders about Thanksgiving for  Christmas because I can't get them all done in time.  January to May is pretty slow except for special occasions/holidays.    If you decide to do a website.  Be prepared for a slow start and then you may get 10-12 orders in one day.

You will have a lot to learn to drive people to your site.  You will have to learn how to price shipping so you can stay competitive and fair.  But it is very rewarding, especially that first sale and satisfied customer.  It took me almost 4 months to get my first sale from my site.  In the interim I sold on several online auction sites.

I wish you the best of luck.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

Joesawdust

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2010, 10:15:39 pm »
One of the biggest pluses for me is that anyone can look at a portfolio of your work at their convenience. Even with most of my customers being local it is a big help, even though probably 50% of what I make gets given away.

Greg
« Last Edit: April 26, 2010, 10:17:21 pm by Joesawdust »

SMF

Teknoromi