Author Topic: Drilling holes  (Read 3491 times)

ups34

Drilling holes
« on: April 25, 2010, 07:03:15 am »
What do you use to drill holes in your projects. Drill Press ? Hand held power drill ?

thumbs

Re: Drilling holes
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 07:43:04 am »
I use a bench top drill press that my brother in law gave me.. I also use my dremel tool if I am away from home---also curious about your user name--Richard aka thumbs ;D

Marshall

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2010, 08:54:12 am »
I always use the drill press , the drill press works best for me even in angle drilling ........Marshall

cherie

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 10:08:37 am »
I use both.  The hand held is only used when I forget to drill a hole where it should be.  Now how many of us has done that?  lol

Offline crusty59

• View Profile
    • Wood Crafts by Chris
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2010, 10:48:13 am »
Oh Yeah! I hate it when that happens hehehe!

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2010, 11:20:39 am »
I use both. If it is a large area in the pattern hand held even with a larger bit. Small and intricate area, drill press. Make sure the hole is where I want it and is 90 degrees. 8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

northie66

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2010, 01:10:21 pm »
I use my dremel attached to a thing that makes it a drill press.  I need the keyless chuck though so I can use a smaller drill bit.  I'm not that experienced with the dremel and for some reason the smaller drill bit is too small for the hole and will just fall out.  I'm thinking the keyless chuck might help that but I'm not sure.   ???

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2010, 02:02:00 pm »
I use a 12" bench top drill press with a mini pin chuck to allow use of the small numbered drill bits. I use the one available at www.sloanwoodshop.com.
Dan In Southern California

Offline dunk

• Staying positive.
    • View Profile
    • Mike's Wood-n-Things
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 04:35:33 pm »
Janet you need a different chuck collett.  You can get them at Lowes or Home depot etc.  They have them in about 5 different sized openings.
Mike

Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks before you need it.

garyinnevada

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 11:01:17 am »
If you are doing any Fretwork or Stack-Cutting you must use a Drill Press. That hole needs to be perfectly strait.

Charlie Dearing

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2010, 06:44:51 pm »
I use a hand drill, because I dont have a drill press and because most of my projects are large and couldnt use a drill press.  It has a leveling bubble on the back of it to make sure it is level when drilling.

Offline MadHatter

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2010, 07:43:36 pm »
I use my dremel for most of mine.

Offline Lakelad

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2010, 10:56:38 pm »
I too use a bench top drill press. Mikes workshop is also a source of the small bits and he has a mini chuck to use with them.
Gary
I yam what I yam and that's all what I yam.

daneklund

« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2010, 11:55:03 pm »
When I need to drill the small holes I use a dremel in its router attachment with the small chuck.  I can move the unit around and "plunge" the holes where needed.  The plunge router attachment was only about $20 and is available at ACE Hdwe stores and Home Depots.  Not sure where else.

Offline wombatie

• Victoria Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 02:23:24 am »
I only use the drill press.  I got fed up of bresking drill bits with the battery drill.

Marg
MARG

No one notices what I do until I'm not here to do it............

SMF

Teknoromi